UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Honda like no other!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Honda like no other!

I have been popping in to this forum for a while now so thought it time to share my somewhat unusual project, it seems to be of interest to those that I know personally on here so why not open it up to the wider audience.

A little (lot of) pre-text; I had modified Honda CRXs that were track-biased in their modifications for years but like far too many folk never made it to the track. I then had an S2000 for a while before being taken ill in 2012, thankfully I recovered and the illness gave me the impetus needed to make sure I finally got on track and did more of what I enjoy best – driving!

The S2000 was sold, I bought a mk1 MX5 as a track car and in Feb 2013 I did my first proper trackday at a slightly snowy and wholly intimidating Cadwell Park. I used the little 1.6 MX5 lots on track over the following 18 months, learning to drive and improving the car as I went along. The final iteration of the little terrier was a shouty, naturally aspirated screamer, with a rebuilt bottom end, modified top end and lovely Jenvey-shaped cherries on the top. It was such a sweet little car to drive on track and embarrassed plenty of much ‘faster’ machinery. After all of the improvements and with a still modest 160-ish bhp, the engine was the weak link, so I looked into the various options for further power hikes.
I decided that the further potential improvements available through NA tuning were well and truly into the realms of diminishing returns so that wasn’t an option. Turbo and roots-type supercharging are both fairly common in MX5 circles and deliver excellent gains, but they wouldn’t work for me as I wanted to retain the character of the original car. You had to work hard to get the most out of the car, keeping the engine singing at the top of the rev-range, with the FI options available and torque-rich delivery they would bring, the driving experience would be a very different one.

So an engine swap would be necessary and there are plenty of options! Perhaps the most common swap, and one that I seriously looked at is the KL V6 Mazda engine – it’s a compact 2.5l vee that can make 180bhp without much fuss and promised 220bhp+ with some well thought out improvements. These improvements would come at a fair cost through and I decided that it wouldn’t be cost-effective. Of course, when you think of high-revving, naturally aspirated engines, Honda lumps are usually the first to mind but there is very little precedent for fitting them in MX5s. Once you get past the misinformation about the rotation of the engines (F and K), you realise that there aren’t any bell housing adapters for the Mazda gearboxes and the engines themselves are too big to fit behind the steering rack.

In the end I decided that I would save up for the engine conversion whilst enjoying the car as it was for another year or so. There were whisperings in the US of some parts that would allow me to use a K20 or derivative thereof so did some research, put spare pennies aside and tried to be patient.

In the meantime, whilst being patient, I saw advertised a working F20-converted car and the rest as they say, is history.
It had been built as a road car and there were quite a few things that weren’t quite right, weren’t right at all or needed changing for the track but the conversion itself was done properly with extensive modifications to scuttle, bulkhead and transmission tunnel to accommodate the bigger Honda engine and gearbox, mated neatly to the Mazda rear end. It was quite a punt really and an expensive one at that, but I thought it could become a unique and enjoyable track car.

Without a money-tree in the back garden the previous MX5 had to be broken and sold off in parts, though we kept plenty of the good chassis bits and moved them over to the new car. In a nutshell the basic plan was to fit swap everything bar the drivetrain from the old car and hope that it would drive in a not dissimilar fashion.

Once back together and freshly mapped by the good chaps at BLiNK Motorsport, the first shakedown was fairly positive – the drivetrain worked perfectly, though there were some handling issues and the day was brought to an early end by a hole in the radiator.
We made few improvements before the next time out at Cadwell, had a great little play with a VX220 turbo, and finally decided that all the work and financial risk beforehand was worth it.

Vid is worth a watch from ~2:45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LeENnmOoA

Since then we have done seven more trackdays and slowly tried to improve it as we have gone. Whilst it’s still not perfected, it’s a cracking car and really does surprise nearly everything else on track.

Here’s a video from the last outing at Cadwell playing with a very well-pedalled K20 Elise and Nige Pinder in his mk2 Golf, (brother) Dan driving first, then myself ~5:50 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEtY1yA-LKk

I popped the GPS doodah in for a session at Cadwell and a look back at the data shows a low 1:42 on a fairly traffic-free lap, so it’s quite a nippy little thing!

Of course like anything we always want more so I’ve recently bought a HKS centrifugal supercharger kit for it, the challenge is to be able to drive it in the same way on track as I do in its current guise, wish me luck!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 AM

We clearly need some pictures:

Old 10-12-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great read!

Could be worth relocating that intake filter for an additional pony or two.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fantastic car, fantastic videos, good driving. Very well balanced car!

Any mods on suspension? looks very well sorted to me. geometry changed?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Funny how 'lost' the little F20c looks in there compared to the faithful old Mazda unit!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 AM

I am planning on doing just this in the not so distant future, would love to have a poke around to see how it was done!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth

great read!

Could be worth relocating that intake filter for an additional pony or two.
Thanks

There's definitely some power to be had by getting cooler air in, but we experimented with different intake lengths on the dyno and there were no tangible benefits to be had without a filter 2 feet in front of the bumper! The intake will be changed with the supercharger of course so it will change location again.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mantecosa
fantastic car, fantastic videos, good driving. Very well balanced car!

Any mods on suspension? looks very well sorted to me. geometry changed?
Yeah it's got all the usual chassis mods and we've tweaked it continuously, at the moment the balance is towards oversteer without the wing and I don't think the spring/ARB balance is quite right so the next round of tweaks will re-introduce the stiffer rear bar, along with a pair of firmer springs at the front. I think we'll pop a little toe in at rear too.

If you're interested in specifics I can write a list but didn't want to bombard everyone with lots of information!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Funny how 'lost' the little F20c looks in there compared to the faithful old Mazda unit!
It does look that way doesn't it!

It's all down to perspective though I'm afraid, the F20 is sat low and a long way back in the chassis so looks smaller - the reality is quite the opposite otherwise it would be an easy swap!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by rnibleck
I am planning on doing just this in the not so distant future, would love to have a poke around to see how it was done!
You would be most welcome, I'll try to keep the thread updated with planned trackdays if you are ever want to take a look.

If you have good fabrication skills and lots of time then it's a good swap, if you would be paying for the fab work then there's no way it's a cost-effective conversion to do correctly.

Quick Reply: A Honda like no other!