UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda Service History printout - cant tell me what was done!?

Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Honda Service History printout - cant tell me what was done!?

So I looked at s2000 from a dealer today.. (100% decided I want one now )

Service books is missing, and they have the last invoice from last year which included engine oil and diff oil change.

However they produced a print out since 2006 showing the car had its service and MOT from Honda each year.

However they said they cant check what was done at each service? Surely this is all on their system!? They tell me the engine oil would have been done each year but I have no proof?

It was this car..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...iles?logcode=p

drove well, slight hole in softop which they would fix, quite a few scratches to the bonnet which they said they would buffer out, some loose trim on the passenger door, and some dull pain on the passenger side, 3 smallish sections of it which again they said they would sort.

One thing i noticed that where the hardtop sits on top of the car at the back it has caused the paint to be worn down right aroundwhere the rim of the hardtop would be. quite noticeable when the roof is down. i assume this is normal though?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

If you look in the FAQ, there is a printout of the service schedule which will show what they should have done at each service. Oil and filter is changed at every service.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
If you look in the FAQ, there is a printout of the service schedule which will show what they should have done at each service. Oil and filter is changed at every service.
Ah ok so you wouldnt be put off with no service book or documents to show what done?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Well, it's not a positive, but if Honda have the printout showing when it was serviced by one of their dealers, then it's probably ok. I'd certainly ask for money off as it's all missing.

If you find out which dealers did the servicing, you could call them and find out.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Well, it's not a positive, but if Honda have the printout showing when it was serviced by one of their dealers, then it's probably ok. I'd certainly ask for money off as it's all missing.

If you find out which dealers did the servicing, you could call them and find out.
It was done at the dealer that is selling the car. In fact he last 4 years of servicing was done by the same same garage selling it which was my point, that surely they would have a record of what was done!?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sambo
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1393691709' post='23040875

It was done at the dealer that is selling the car. In fact he last 4 years of servicing was done by the same same garage selling it which was my point, that surely they would have a record of what was done!?
Unless they have changed their computer system(s) I can't see how they wouldn't have the information; and in detail. Sounds a bit suspect to me. Would they be adverse to you contacting the previous owner for clarification. Also; the hard top rubbing on the bodywork sounds a bit odd. To be honest it doesn't sound likes it's been particularly well kept. Loose door trim also sounds a bit odd. Did you check that there was no n/s accident damage ?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Too many odd things about this one. I would walk away. Loads more around for that price just look on Autotrader.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint loss because of the hardtop means to me that it has been misaligned for some time, definitely not normal.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM

the trim was just the seal at he top of passenger door. It wasn't so much paint loss as more if a dull marking when it sits on top of the car, it also felt slightly rough to touch. Guessing the hardtop as been on a while to cause this.

What also annoyed me a little was that they clearly washed it right before i arrived as it had lots of water marks, most likely to hide the swirl marks.scratches etc

Literally he had a piece of A4 with something like:

01/01/09 - Honda Reading - 36,000 Service
01/01/08 - Honda Reading - 24,000 Service
01/01/07 - Honda Reading - 16,000 Service
01/01/06 - Honda Reading - 8,000 Service

That was it, i asked if they can check the system to see what was actually done as for all i know they just changed a light bulb, and they said they dont have that info but it would have been per hondas standard service recommendations. I'd like to think that this probably makes sense, but id feel more comfortable having a ton of actual paperwork!

The previous owner has gone abroad so i doubt i cant contact her.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not buy a vehicle without the original service book.

Explain you could only buy it if it were to come with the service book. My advice, don't buy it without.

Quick Reply: Honda Service History printout - cant tell me what was done!?