Hondabond - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hondabond

Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Hondabond

For various reasons alluded to on other threads, I am probably going to have to drop the lower part of the engine off to get to the thrust washers. With that in mind, please can I seek some advice concerning Hondabond.

Firstly, how strong is it? Once the bolts are removed will the lower girdle just drop off or will they need prising apart? Does it act as an adhesive or just a sealer?

Secondly, for re-assembly which Hondabond should I use? The old service manual specifically mentions a particular part number (08718-0009), but I think I'm right in saying it has been superceeded. What is the correct Hondabond to use for the timing cover, upper and lower block and the sump pan? I looked in "Under The Hood" but it looks like some of the products are different in the US. Any reference or Honda technical documents would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Permatex Ultra Grey is an equivalent replacement, I've used it on two oil pan installs and one timing cover without any problems.
Not sure what was used from factory but the first pan removal was pretty painful and needed lots of force and prying to get off.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Almost certainly need prising apart!

As for what to use, I used this on the gearbox and it's been fine... Really much of a muchness though, with any high temp engine sealant being okay, I would imagine, but I'm sure someone will come along and tell me off for saying that!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 AM

Yes it definitely will need prising apart.