UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hood no longer folders down properly

Old 11-20-2002, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood no longer folders down properly

this just started the other day.....released clips and flicked roof button and the hood went back but the motor did not seem to be able to pull it all the way own into the well (as it used to).

I know that people have discussed the fact that hoods seem to retract and sit at different heights but this was really high.

I put it up a little way to look for creases but didn't really see any (it ws 10:30pm last night! ) then retracted again and it folded much flater.

Has anybody had this happen......should I rush to the dealers or can I solve it ??

Thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 01:40 AM

Hasn't happened to me Beno, always folded no problems!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:18 AM

I believe that ianl had a similar problem. Check that the cross braces are folding correctly. They are tensioned with a bit of elastic webbing, which can become too loose. If they do not fold out of the way, the mechanism will jam. The tension was changed to springs for MY02.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:34 AM

I have a MY02!!

Where are the cross braces??

When the hood folds its almost as if the motor is struggling against some resistance - as if some fabric is caught or something is resisting. i don't think it's a mechanical problem and the motor sounds ok....going up is fine.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:42 AM

Look at the supports that run across the width of the roof. They should fold as the roof goes down. It is the springs that cause them to fold. If they do not fold, they foul the main mechanism.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:19 AM

Thanks Rob!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:25 AM

Beno there is another thread on this open...... there are a few of us with MY02s that have exactly the same problem (me included).

It only became a problem when the weather went cold...... have you noticed whether it is less of a problem if the car has been sat in the sun for a while?

I believe some people have already had Honda sort this out for them under warranty.

I've got my hardtop on now so will wait till the spring before I worry about it.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:58 AM

Popping in from the States to contribute.
This has happened to me three or four times since I bought my car in February -- the top (hood) just won't go down all the way. I just raise it back up about halfway and retract it again -- the second time it goes down completely.
I'll eventually have my dealer look at it, but it's not that big a problem at this time.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:10 AM

I've had the same problem on my MY02. As you seem to find, Beno, it doesn't seem to happen all the time.

I put the top back up about halfway, and check the fabric to make sure it's folding properly, then take it back down again. Most of the time it works after doing this, but sometimes it gets a little stubborn.

Good tip S2000RJ. I'll check the braces next time it happens - I always assumed it was "double-folding" on the fabric that made it sit high.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:14 AM

Thanks All. A trip to the dealers I think. I'll post what they say.

Quick Reply: Hood no longer folders down properly