S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   How do you get in yours? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/how-do-you-get-yours-698772/)

Gizmo-R 05-14-2009 03:34 AM

How do you get in yours?

Just wondering since owning the S how do you get in yours?

Only reason I ask is that the seats dont seem to be very prone to wear and I've seen some whilst shopping for one the bolters get very worn or the leather bit your butt sits on gets stretched.

Anyone know how to minimise this of preserve the quality of the leather??

Monky 05-14-2009 03:40 AM

I put one hand on the steering wheel and one on the sill then lift myself over the bolster. I would agree that what you are describing is one of the main reasons for ware, that and not treating the leather regularly especially in a soft top where the interior is exposed to the elements.

I guess height is also a factor, I'm a steady 6ft so I don't find it that hard really, those who are taller might have their own technique! I found the Elise a much harder car to climb in too.

Oh and by the way if your leather is cracked there are companies like Leather Revive who can give it a new lease of life. My old BMW M3 Evolution despite only having 65k on the clock (not bad for a 96!) had badly cracked leather simply as it had dried up over time.

noizyboyz 05-14-2009 03:42 AM

Depends how fat your @rse is :D

Gizmo-R 05-14-2009 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by noizyboyz,May 14 2009, 12:42 PM
Depends how fat your @rse is :D

Ha Ha I'd like to think I dont have a 'Chunky Butt' :D

Bassoctopus 05-14-2009 03:44 AM

:egads:

No matter how you get in the seats will easily last you 100k without looking too shabby. Mine are still fine at 98k.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You could lose weight - that might help I guess

Monky 05-14-2009 03:46 AM

I've got a nice firm bum :D :tipwink:

NineBolts 05-14-2009 03:55 AM

I did notice that my bolster was looking a little sagged on the outside. not major but not as perky as the passenger side.

This is odd because I always try to get in and out over the bolster for that very reason.

On my MY07 the leather is quite tuff, more like boot leather rather than a fine Connolly hide. My only problem is that I used copious amounts of autoglym on it the other day which has dried as white bits in the perforations.

Monky 05-14-2009 03:59 AM

Aye Jap leather is pretty hard/tuff/er shit. Regardless it will still ware prematurely without a little care. Those in hotter climates with more exposure to sunlight would suffer worse from this, or people like me who have the roof down even at night time in sub zero temperatures, god bless our heaters and my hoodie (yes I am a hoodie).

M

SlimJ GBR 05-14-2009 04:03 AM

I get in mine by jumping over the door (if the roof is down, obviously!), just like the movies... I look well cool! :D

Seriously, don't wear jeans with a metal zip on your rear, can do some serious seat damage when getting in!

FistralG 05-14-2009 04:11 AM

It depends how you are parked and how much room there is to open the door without hitting anything adjacent. It also depends if the roof is up or down.
I've not really given much thought to the effect on the seats but after a year of use they still seem in reasonable condition. At somewhere north of 260 pounds I do give them a thorough test! :)

My technique is; left leg first with left hand on the steering wheel then lower myself into the seat then pull the right leg in last.
Getting out is the reverse of the above process. Sometimes if I'm parked on a steep hill, facing up hill (there is a steep hill on the road outside the house) I have to use my arm on the side of the car behind the door opening for additional leverage. I've now learnt to try and park facing downhill whenever possible as it makes getting out easier.