UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How easy is it to install a rear foglight?

Old 08-24-2001, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to install a rear foglight?

A colleague of mine is coming over to the U.K. (from the U.S.) next month, and I've asked him to try to pick up a rear foglight fitting from a Honda dealer. It's the one that fits in the middle of the black trim piece, in the rear.

Can someone please take a look at the way the foglight is mounted, and let me know if I just need to make a cut out for the light on my NA model, and use a push fit. Also, can you tell me how it's controlled? Is it operated by an independent switch which is hooked to the main beams?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:17 AM

The light is pushed into the black curve of the fender, from a distance it looks like a single piece but close up it is actually a seperate light that fits in the fender so you should be able to cut the fender without too much problem. The light is wired to a switch on the dashboard, I think its the cruise switch on US versions, we dont get cruise, not even an option.

Hope this helps
Old 08-24-2001, 11:58 AM

Hi,

I have a picture from the back:

It's embedded in the rearbumper, but I don't know what the american one looks like.

The light is operated with a switch which is at the left side of the dashboard. I think in the US
there's a switch for the cruisecontrol.

Close up of the foglight.

Another angle on the switch. (I have to clean the dashboard, I've been driving topdown a lot lately).
You get a peek at my bare foot as well for free.

Old 08-24-2001, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully, it's rare we have to use the rear fog light these days, but it's a Godsend when required. Whilst it has it's own switch as Jason said, it's wired I think, to come on only with dipped h/lights and main beam and is very bright for obvious reasons. Your friend should be aware that there is a max fine of
Old 08-24-2001, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On fines... the police generally don't seem to do too much about it. Though it is becoming endemic - people just driving around with fogs on (mostly front only) whenever they have lights on.

[rant on]

I hate it when people drive with fogs on and it's not foggy. The headlights on modern cars are great even without HID like on the S2k.

[rant off]

When it is foggy (I live in a fog prone area so it's quite common in autumn/winter) fog lights are great.

-Brian.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:50 PM

Thanks guys. You're awesome in getting this info so quickly.

If there's anything (small) that you can't get there, that I can get my colleague to bring over from the U.S. for you, let me know. He's obviously limited to how much he can bring, but if you're desperate for some small parts/stuff, let me know in a PM. I can only think of a California Water Blade that might be useful (I know you can get the Absorber over there now), but there might be something else you can think of. (And no, he won't be bringing any cruise controls for you!)

Thanks again for your advice - and especially for the pics from Ronald.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please forgive my ignorance but how is this little light going to help you in a fog? From the rear, you have your 2 tail lights on already when you put your head lights on AND if you brake, you've got the 3rd brake light. Aren't these way more visible than that little fog light? In N. America, people with big semis (that would be lories for you folks) and pick up trucks owned by individuals suffering from inbreeding of some kind, put high beam lights on the back to flash guys coming up on them from behind who haven't "lowered" their beams. I've never heard of fog lights that point to the rear.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xviper:

The light is actually very effective, it's much brighter than the tail lights and even the stop lights, which is why it's illegal to use it when it isn't foggy. You'll see the fog light of a vehicle in front of you long before you see it's tail lights and of course it's on all the while which the brake lights aren't. We've had some horrendous motorway pile-ups over here involving hundreds of vehicles and multiple fatalities in foggy conditions where people have been bombing along at their usual speed and ploughing into the backs of the vehicles already piled up. I saw a bloke interviewed on T.V. who was involved and escaped the collision by managing to brake and stop in time only to be pushed into the pile of vehicles by a lorry from behind. He said he sat in the car hugging his two kids and listening to the vehicles crashing behind for about 15 minutes!! He kept bursting into tears as he recounted the story! If I'm on the motorway, at the first sign of fog I get straight off!!
I'm sure you know all about this from the job I imagine you do!
Old 08-24-2001, 04:40 PM

Your kidding right? The light is extremely bright, it'll blind you when you look into it. That's why you're only allowed to use it in bad visibility (fog) situations. It's mandatory overhere.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Please forgive my ignorance but how is this little light going to help you in a fog?
Old 08-24-2001, 04:48 PM

1Y2KS2K :

Plexus is impossible to get, but I'm in the Netherlands. :-(

Quick Reply: How easy is it to install a rear foglight?