S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   How to find out if your bolts are siezed? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/how-find-out-if-your-bolts-siezed-523140/)

wingnutLP 09-05-2007 11:11 PM

How to find out if your bolts are siezed?

Last time I went for a service I asked my dealer to check the bolts for adjusting the suspension and was told that after checking and greasing IF they wern't siezed the car would need an alignment.

I want to go to CG rather than Honda for the alignment but I don't want a wasted trip caused by siezed bolts...

Is there any way to check if my bolts are siezed or am I best just to book in with CG and then apply wd40 for a few days before I go and hope for the best? :ponder:

eSeM 09-05-2007 11:17 PM

You can check them yourself by undoing the bolts ....... however you will need to get the car re-aligned after doing this.

(When I changed my suspension a couple of years back my alignment was out for a couple of months whilst I sorted out the seized bushes. This also included a trip to Scotland.)

Shopman 09-05-2007 11:23 PM

The only way is to undo them.
Before I went to COG Chris suggested I put centre punch marks on the adjustment bolts, take them out, grease them and put them back.
I did this to all the lower bolts. The upper wishbone bolts also corrode but as they are not used for adjustment are not so critical.
I did all mine including greasing the drop links in a day.

WD40 on the exterior of the bolts isn't gonna do a lot if the bolt is seized.
Chris has ways of dealing with seized bolts but it takes time, and you could be there for a few hours or a few days by all accounts!

Dembo 09-05-2007 11:38 PM

Remember you need to do the collars too. I did all mine before going to see Chris, but just did the bolts.

soulcrew 09-05-2007 11:44 PM

chris mentioned a saw and blow torch to me. ;)

he took about 10 mins to free my seized bush.

Bonesy 09-06-2007 12:34 AM

is there somewhere other then centre of gravity to go for good alignment? further south? it's not the easiest place for me to get to. cheers.

soulcrew 09-06-2007 12:37 AM

CHRIS SAID HE WOULD LIKE TO DO AN ALIGNMENT MEET IN S WALES SOMETIME.[oops cap lock].

so maybe a meet or something could be arranged?

Shopman 09-06-2007 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bonesy,Sep 6 2007, 08:34 AM
is there somewhere other then centre of gravity to go for good alignment? further south? it's not the easiest place for me to get to. cheers.

No. Not if you want it done properly :D
It is worth the investment in time to make the trip, and you will really enjoy the drive back :drive:

wingnutLP 09-06-2007 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Sep 6 2007, 07:23 AM
Before I went to COG Chris suggested I put centre punch marks on the adjustment bolts, take them out, grease them and put them back.

Do you actually count the number of turns all the way as you undo it? This doesn't sound very reliable as it is hard to know when the thread is engaged... That said I guess a few days driving with it a bit out isn't a problem.

Ste_Nova 09-06-2007 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Sep 6 2007, 01:43 AM
Do you actually count the number of turns all the way as you undo it? This doesn't sound very reliable as it is hard to know when the thread is engaged... That said I guess a few days driving with it a bit out isn't a problem.

you punch the adjuster.. it's not threaded ;)