UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

how to fit a window scraper/weather shield

Old 07-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to fit a window scraper/weather shield

I have bought a new weather strip/window scraper for my car as the old one had perished. I need help fitting it and have done the usual search and found zilch. Any info on how to do this would get a wet kiss from me….or just a thank you very much.....your choice.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you mean the rubber weatherstrip that runs along the driver/passenger door windows?

It does come off fairly easy.

1. Lower your windows all the way.
2. Open the door and at the end of the door on the side that opens will be a little plastic peg. Remove that peg but don't lose it!
3. At this point the weather stripping can be unclipped from the actual metal of the door.
4. To remove the weather stripping when you are ready, you'll have to slide it away from the mirror and towards the opening of the door.
5. Install is reverse. Remember to seat the weather stripping and slide it towards the mirror until the little clip that the peg will go through is flush with the door.
6. Find the clip points and carefully line up and press in the clips until flush.
7. Install peg in the end of the door to finish.

For me, after install, the new weather stripping sat higher than the old one I replaced so I wouldn't let that phase you. I assume they sag after use.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by yourboysoap
I assume you mean the rubber weatherstrip that runs along the driver/passenger door windows?

It does come off fairly easy.

1. Lower your windows all the way.
2. Open the door and at the end of the door on the side that opens will be a little plastic peg. Remove that peg but don't lose it!
3. At this point the weather stripping can be unclipped from the actual metal of the door.
4. To remove the weather stripping when you are ready, you'll have to slide it away from the mirror and towards the opening of the door.
5. Install is reverse. Remember to seat the weather stripping and slide it towards the mirror until the little clip that the peg will go through is flush with the door.
6. Find the clip points and carefully line up and press in the clips until flush.
7. Install peg in the end of the door to finish.

For me, after install, the new weather stripping sat higher than the old one I replaced so I wouldn't let that phase you. I assume they sag after use.

Good luck!
If I read you right, I am removing and replacing without accessing behind the door card? Thanks everso. Shame you are too far away to collect your prize.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM

This is in the same section of the Honda Manual as the door mirrors and its a right palava
The above is really good!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aaah mineral split! Could you let me know where you bought it and how much please?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhauri
Aaah mineral split! Could you let me know where you bought it and how much please?
Same here. I could do with two new ones as they are in places bigger than should be gaps between it and the glass.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Recently got a new one from Si @ Hendy, they are on his website.

http://www.hendyeshop.co.uk/molding-...13-63998-p.asp
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ablazejohn
Hi,

Recently got a new one from Si @ Hendy, they are on his website.

http://www.hendyesho...013-63998-p.asp
If you pm Si he will give you a discount code. I ordered mine from him Mon night and had them by Thursday. They may not appear cheap, but they are quite a complex construction.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
If I read you right, I am removing and replacing without accessing behind the door card? Thanks everso. Shame you are too far away to collect your prize.
Correct. No need at all. The piece you are replacing is on the outside of the door, so the door panel can stay put.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 AM

Yourboysoap

thanks for your instructions, I have just done the deed and it was exactly as you said

In my case, the new weather strip came with a set of the white clips already attached, I leavered them off and used the originals as they were still undamaged in situ on the door - the easier option.

Also, I found that I needed a couple of attempts before I got a good seal between the glass and the strip - note: check the seal once the door is closed as this latter action presses the glass against the strip to help get the seal.

Finally, I found tapping (gently) the seal downwards, with a block of wood and hammer, helped improve the seal. Of course, this may have happened on its own given time.

job time: 20 minutes
parts: £78.43
skill of technician (me): numpty

MODS - please add Yourboysoap's instructions to the technical FAQs or where ever appropriate.

Quick Reply: how to fit a window scraper/weather shield