UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How many people have been threatened by neighbours

Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the exhaust is loud, but I never rev the car on my road as to not cause to much noise pollution

And it was his whole demeanour that was threatening, he basically admitted he will do something if it continues
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I once sold up & moved to a nicer area, as it was probably better overall than having to waste a complete mongdertal.

TBF, some people get up at Dawns' crack, so 23:30 is the middle of the night to them & they're probably awakened & not entirely rational in that state. Starting such a vehicle at Dawn's crack might annoy me similarly - I dislike fart pipes generally. Or I'd get used to it, if it were on something interesting & multi-cylinder.

It might be better to try a calm approach first, at a more sensible time of day. You'll then know for sure what precisely you're dealing with.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by BenRNBP' timestamp='1393770213' post='23041801
The bass from an exhaust can pulse through a house so I can understand people being upset about it. Not sure what he threatened you with either, he was obviously tired and wound up and telling you to keep it down and not doing it again isn't a threat as such. I'd try the civil reconciliation route too, try talking and coming to an arrangement for let's face it, quite a loud exhaust which is a bit anti-social.

I remember an S2000 with one of these exhausts pulling up at my house. I could hear it a couple of streets away (and it most certainly wasn't being vteced). As the owner manoeuvred to park, various doors and windows were rattling. Not nice to have to put up with on a daily basis.
Me with the Greddy SE, and that was pre charger, even I was getting sick of it EDIT, actually it did have the charger I think, as we went for a drive and it was wet. The charger makes the car SO much louder, I never got around to getting a twinloop made up to take the volume down.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I had a run in with a neighbour when building the S house. Threatened to kill me. I laughed at him, he'd be lucky to kill mr muscle if you gave him two guns. Total twat.

We don't get on but he apologised, doesnt change what he did and what i think of him. We have a huge hedge so never see them really.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an arsehole living next door for a few years that used to constantly moan about my car. He would shout abuse out of his window an occasionally would come around for a moan. Sometimes their dogs would bark all night .... but that was OK and it was OK when they had builders round for a few months and my cars were getting covered in crap from the building work every day.

It wasn't just us, they moaned at some of the other neighbors about other stuff and made themselves generally unpopular. We got great satisfaction when his wife (who earned a lot more money than he did) got made redundant and they had to sell the house for > £100k less than they bought it for.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

This guy is very similar. Had his wife's superchav x5 vandalised by a disgruntled someone or other. They actually came over our fence to do it. I would have laid out a red carpet if I'd known.

It never came back. His Aston is now a ford pickup too.

Complains about the dust from any work we have done, complains about everything. Told my heavily pregnant ( at the time) missus we should inform him we were having work done. Pure c@#t. I'll probably bury him one day.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I can see both sides of the problem in some respects. We have a guy round the corner with a fiesta with a very loud exhaust. He drives like a loon up and down the road everyday and even does it loud in the morning. I do moan about this guy as he doesn't think about what he's doing

My cars exhaust is pointing at a block of flats that probably has 50 people living in it and during the day or during sensible hours i don't worry about the noise. On Friday i had to leave for Snetterton at 5:50am and i know how pissed i would be if i got woken up by a loud exhaust on a workday. I just chose to sort everything out on the car and then start it and drive off as soon as possible, no hanging around pissing people off. I also got an exhaust that sounds great at high revs but not over the top at low revs, it noise tested 87db at 6000rpm. I looked at the Pro65r and to me its just too loud, im done with the days of super loud exhausts that offer very little gain.

If you meet half way and try to minimise the noise then at least your trying and most people would respect that.

As for dust, our neighbours had an extension built and my brother ended up with cement all over his X5 and my Integra type r started rusting because of the salt in the sand from where it was going everywhere during the construction work. Every flat panel on the car ended up with rusty spots in the paint. It got to the point where i had to wash my car everyday to stop the sanding going into the paint. When my dad spoke to the builders about the cement they called him a liar until my brother opened the door and showed them how much they had splattered about. They still didn't give a toss thou.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a very loud exhaust, you will always annoy people. Race tracks have noise level limits and so does the road. I guess its down to peoples idea of what is socially acceptable or reasonable. You think its acceptable to have a loud exhaust and come and go whenever you please. They think its unreasonable that its so loud it wakes them up and stops them from having quiet in there own home.... I quess you need to reverse the situation.... if they woke you up when sleeping would you say thats reasonable and socially acceptable?

Its always best not to shout and be nasty though. Calm convo is usually best....
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The woman across the road from us doesn't like the fact me and my house mate have 5 vehicles between us. However she only moans to our other neighbours and our landlord. She has never said any thing to us. Other neighbours have politely asked if we can avoid parking outside their house, for various reasons, and we do what we can. She says nothing and instead puts cones out in the road. Funny but they always seem to be on the pavement when she gets home from work!!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyC
She says nothing and instead puts cones out in the road. Funny but they always seem to be on the pavement when she gets home from work!!
One of my neighbours did that for a bit but every morning found the cones thrown into her garden .... they soon stopped.

If it is a public road nobody has a right to be able to park outside of their house.

Quick Reply: How many people have been threatened by neighbours