UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How To: Remove tar from tailpipes and get them looking new

Old 05-01-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by noirenex
Well, thanks for the tips, I find the way I've done it here to be easiest, a very simple job and only took an hour from leaving the front door to getting back to a cuppa, maybe 20 mins worth of actual hard work tops? Not messy at all, you get a dirty sock but you can see from the pictures it isn't particularly messy at all.

Tried other methods on various cars I've had, but this is the easiest and cheapest I've found so far, each to their own though! Here's hoping this thread serves as a good guide to those who want to try this and are curious to the options, thanks all.

I'd also like to add that there isn't any need to be so defensive about things, everyone is different, and I welcome all suggestions!
Er no one is being defensive and you obviously don't welcome suggestions or you wouldn't have stated the above, you suggested a long drawn out messy way of doing a job, then others suggested a quicker easier and less messy option that's hardly being harsh or defensive, you are now going to have to spend a couple of hours cleaning the mess of the drive,
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Originally Posted by noirenex' timestamp='1430483463' post='23597752
Well, thanks for the tips, I find the way I've done it here to be easiest, a very simple job and only took an hour from leaving the front door to getting back to a cuppa, maybe 20 mins worth of actual hard work tops? Not messy at all, you get a dirty sock but you can see from the pictures it isn't particularly messy at all.

Tried other methods on various cars I've had, but this is the easiest and cheapest I've found so far, each to their own though! Here's hoping this thread serves as a good guide to those who want to try this and are curious to the options, thanks all.

I'd also like to add that there isn't any need to be so defensive about things, everyone is different, and I welcome all suggestions!
Er no one is being defensive and you obviously don't welcome suggestions or you wouldn't have stated the above, you suggested a long drawn out messy way of doing a job, then others suggested a quicker easier and less messy option that's hardly being harsh or defensive, you are now going to have to spend a couple of hours cleaning the mess of the drive,
Thanks anyway Dave, I wasn't having a go mate, just seemed like folks were bit put out by the article ("Seems like people just want to make an easy job hard") but hey-ho it's the internet and it isn't easy to gauge people's tone from text, I certainly never said you were harsh or otherwise, I think the way suggested is pretty easy and fast and I've used autosol to make the comparison myself, that's good too sure but in my case not quite so much! I appreciate everyone's input from the thread, I've got some more tricks to try next time sure, lucky to have so many active members with a passion to be fair!

Swept up the mess in a couple minutes, sponges caught the main mess, the stains of oil that are dried are actually off other vehicles I've had on the area

I absolutely welcome suggestions, I'm not sure why you might think otherwise, the point of the forum is to share experience and tips for the car!

Originally Posted by baldii
unbelievable, do you write poetry by any chance?
Not sure what you mean?

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
I'm just not sure I read this correct?

I'm currently sat here completely naked wearing odd socks soaked in petrol & WD40 how on earth am I supposed to clean just using my feet??

The neighbours are staring & I feel lightheaded (and strangely aroused)
sounds like you've got it right
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently sat here completely naked wearing odd socks soaked in petrol & WD40 how on earth am I supposed to clean just using my feet??

Whatever you do, stay away from naked flames. I've been in that position before, it's a difficult one to explain in A&E.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh one more thing...I don't actually own a car so had to pop across the road to the neighbours.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up, thanks
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah I've also used petty to to lift the tar and shit off to great success too.

Grimy rag and petrol and elbow grease soon lifts the shit off!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I feel like Victor Meldrew , I just don't believe this thread !!! Christ almighty I am off to sit in a dark room and ponder the meaning of life
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If those pics were posted cuntishly big just to annoy me, then check that box for your weekend. Job done.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

This post is exactly 1 month too late :-)