UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HOW TO: Soft Top Removal

Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you able to get to that secret compartment box without taking the car apart. I have no idea how to get to it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aston19uk
are you able to get to that secret compartment box without taking the car apart. I have no idea how to get to it.
What do you mean by get to it? Remove it or get into it?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Removed the soft top on my previous s and did the same this morning on this one

Started at 0900 all finished at 1300

hard top will be on for all Ricky runs, sorry Lovegroova
Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM

First off thanks for this detail write up, I just removed my ap2 top and this was useful. Most of my bolts were 10mm but I did not have to remove my roll hoops. Just one bolt under the plastics was a bit challenging but possible with the motors removed as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Is there a cheat for just removing or easing the the rubber trim around the rear deck for spraying, rather than complete removal of the the soft top ?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2gowner
First off thanks for this detail write up, I just removed my ap2 top and this was useful. Most of my bolts were 10mm but I did not have to remove my roll hoops. Just one bolt under the plastics was a bit challenging but possible with the motors removed as well.
glad it helped! I tried that first but couldn't get the back of the roof frame out from under the roll hoop plastics. Any tips or tricks for us to add to this thread so that I could update my main post and give your suggestions?

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Is there a cheat for just removing or easing the the rubber trim around the rear deck for spraying, rather than complete removal of the the soft top ?
Chip, you can just remove the plastics from the parcel shelf as well as the metal brackets around the back of the body. That might enable you to remove it but its screwed into the body and I'm not sure if there is a screw immediately behind the door shut. If that's the case then you would have to remove the lot but if not then you can do what I suggested.

I can take a look at the one that's removed from my old car the next time I'm up the garage though if you like?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM

You need 2 people for sure to remove the top. I had to unbolt the seatbelt so the roll hoops can have more whiggle room as well, remove plastics cap and the 14mm bolt will be exposed. First you have to put the window back down where it would sit and the bring the rest of the top down. Disconnect and unbolt the motors on each side only 3 10mm bolt. This is where your partner come to use, pull up one side with a little finesse then you should clear the plastic, don't lift to high yet. Then your partner can do the same, then you're done.
Also, I did not have to unclip the rear window defroster as I left it on the top.
Also, I had an extra clip that had to be remove where there was a screw near the fender well between the outside part of the top. It was a push in type, not that hard compared to the screw type clips.

Other than that, you had it pretty much covered.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Soft Top Removal