UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I'm coming to visit

Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts
Default I'm coming to visit

Anyway - I just got myself two tickets for the American Football game at Wembley in October between the Giants and Dolphins.

Still figuring out the rest of my trip.

Besides the typical tourist stuff, any thoughts on some other things? Thinking about a day or two in Scotland to see medieval castles and the like.

I'd love to catch a PDC Darts event and see Taylor and the others live, but they are in Germany that week. Oh well.

Thanks- Gary
Old 07-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what I'd do if I only had a couple of days to spend in scotland - I'd try and get over to the west or north though. Edinburgh is quite tacky from a tourist perspective IMHO.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Id head to Inverness via Stirling, americans like to see the wallace monument .

From Inverness you can take some nice bus tours that will show you those Medieval castles that you are looking for . Actually you could probably see them from a tour that left Edinburgh.

Then head west from Inverness to Skye and see the most beautiful landscape on the planet bar none.

You'd probably need about 3 days but you need to plan ahead if you want to move that quickly.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, It's getting a bit closer, so I figure I'll revive this.

While part of my trip is solid, other parts are getting blurrier. I may actually be in Paris for work for a few days, then head right into London. A day or two out West might be the most of my excursions, so basically a full week in London.

If I don't go to Paris, I'll probably start in Edinburgh, then head to London over a 2 day period visiting several castles in the North Country. The same day or two West of London and a few days in London before heading home.

Thanks for any more ideas you've got.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Have a good trip, Gary. BTW...my wife and I will be up in YOUR neck of the woods visiting Mikey in a couple weeks (end of September)...
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Do a CLPM!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Depends what you want to see and how much time you've got. There's some stunning castles a lot closer than Scotland (although the scenery is very vertical and all the better for it up there).

Can suggest:-
- Blenheim Palace. Nice place, great grounds.
- Warwick Castle. Expensive to get in but loads to do.
- Stratford-upon-Avon. All the Shakespeare stuff and it's a nice town too.

Paris is definitely worth a visit though, and it's now <3hrs on the Eurostar from London. It'll take 3x as long to get to Scotland unless you fly from London!

Places aside, was looking for a motorsport event that weekend, but can't find any.
It'd be worth going to a football or a rugby (union rather than league, IMHO, but others differ) match while you're over here too!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Don't forget Northumberland, we have more castles than anywhere else in the country, not to mention Hadrians wall.

You could visit Alnwick Castle, it has been used in a lot of films over the years. There's also Bamburgh Castle wich has to be one of the most picturesque and photographed castles in the country.

There is also Lindisfarne which is the seat of christianity in England.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Sep 12 2007, 02:09 PM
Do a CLPM!!
AE - Should I have any idea what you're talking about?

Anyways - things are clearer. Work won't cover the days in Paris, so I'm not going.

Flying into Edinburgh overnight on the 16th arriving the 17th. I have 4 days to get to London. I figure a day in Edinburgh, then I'm headed down to the coast by Dumfries to a few castles I picked from a list and some websites. As good as any I suppose? I was looking more at the Northwest side of England rather than the Northeast side to drive through and see some more stuff. Again, no particular reason for my madness.

Stirling is a bit in the wrong direction. My schedule is fairly flexible, except that many of the sites have fewer hours that time of year, so I need to be fairly efficient in my travels. See things when they open, drive after dinner type of days.

My friend is meeting me on Saturday the 20th in London. We'll head to the Wessex area, Stonehenge, Bath and some other stuff out there. He is leaving on Tuesday. I'll spend the rest of the week in London seeing everything I can. The game is Sunday night and I'm leaving mid-morning Monday.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. If anyone is interested in meeting along the way, let me know. Any particular places to stay along the route you could recommend would be great. I'm working on putting the route together on Google Earth. When I've got more details, I'll continue to post them.

Thanks!

On a side note - I'm likely going to plan a trip with friends to come back to Scotland in the future. Some golf, sightseeing, during the warmer months. This trip (at least the Scotland part is just to get a small taste while I'm over).
Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Heyitsgary,Sep 18 2007, 01:46 AM]

On a side note - I'm likely going to plan a trip with friends to come back to Scotland in the future.

Quick Reply: I'm coming to visit