UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I want to come back

Old 02-11-2008, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to come back

Guys,

Not been on here for a long time now, but feeling a bit of an urge to come back...

Was prob last on here when i had my S2K- it was an MY00 in red and was, looking back now, in cracking condition for its age. From memory, when i sold in Oct '06, she had about 35k on her which was mega low for the age- id put 12k of those on in the 6 months I owned her!

Anyway, reason I sold we mainly cos of the miles I was doing (which, incidentally, hasnt changed..) and the fact that wanted to free up a bit of cash. Anyway, thats been and gone and im now wondering whether another fling with a car i loved to bits is a viable option...

As i say, im still doing fairly big miles per year so im not going to kid myself that im going to keep another S2K longer than until the end of the summer if i was to get another.

Reason for the post though is a bit of a heads up on current prices. A quick look on here and pistonheads finds a mixed bag really. If anything id say that the earlier cars are holding their value very well- a lot better than id have thought and im almost gobsmacked to think how little i let mine go for!

What do people think of setting a budget of 10k- am i being realistic?? I know this will get me a pre facelift, same spec as my old one, which is fine, but i dont really want one with big miles (im talking 70-80) as this wont help me come resale time. Of all the cars ive seen, i love the look of Mark's (MB on here) silverstone, but its up at a bit more than id like to pay.

Im sure my thoughts wont be to everyone's tastes, but i really did enjoy my time owning an s2k, even if it was for a relatively short time. Ive had few moments since which are so firmly etched in my head than driving in the dead of night, roof down, xenons on, with that engine screaming up front.

Its a magical car and love to think that i could own one again.

Matt
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Matt,

Your main aim will be to get a good car, and get your money back on it.

I'd say you would need to buy now before the sun starts shining and the prices become harder to negotioate, and cars start selling quickly. If you are going to see at the end of summer then you need to ensure you buy a good one to get your money back.

I have bought and sold loads of cars over the years, and I can do so by buying well priced stuff, and stuff that is in top order - this means it will sell easily and you don't lose out much.

For that reason try and pick up a full S/H UK car with little or no mods, and no items which would put other buyers off. Best to buy one from here too - as long as it checks out. Anything outside the norm will make it harder to sell...

Good luck
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 AM

sound advice there mark and pretty much how i played it the last time. Looking back now i really didnt lose much at all- im talking literally a few hundred quid over 10k miles!

i suppose thats what im trying to say about the mileage thing too- although i realise that what im looking for will be pretty high, i dont want to go all out with a 80k'er and then really struggle to sell on when ive put another 10+ on her- FSH and quality are great to have, but high miles are a pain come resale time...

thanks for the reassurance on my plans though- they are a bit strange, but having already owned an s2k, theres nothing else i can think of that would fit the bill better...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've owned lots of stuff for 6 month periods, and no real issue.

Where you have to be very careful is that you know what you are buying. Say you bought one with nackered bushes, and when you come to sell it, it gets picked up - you may end up stuck with it and have a big bill. Similarly if you find its had a load of bodywork done etc. You just have to think of the "what if's"

So there are some risks, but ones which can be managed.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 AM

I reckon for that budget (like me in Dec 06) you should aim to get a UK S which has just had it 54k mile service done and FHSH, etc. Not sure if you are going to find too many with less miles than that. If poss, I think it is worth paying a few hundred quid more for an S with a new roof (pref glass rear window) and Geo done recently. I got mine after it had just done the 54k service and had no problems - just had to get two tyres, service and MOT it in the last 12months. Pretty cheap motoring. Got it for
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 AM

Mine's up for sale in the for sale section, FSH 64,000 Miles and offers around 9400
Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 AM

I know how you feel matt.I had a MY00 S2000 for 8 months and ended up selling it due to Honda knackering the paintwork,i bought a CTR and owned that for 6 months but missed the individualness(word?) of the S2000. The CTR was a great car but it just didnt feel special..I looked around at other roadsters like Z4's,MX5's and Boxsters but they just didnt have the 'S' factor..

Ended up buying an MY05 and couldnt wait to pick it up,I drove 800miles in a day to collect it lol..Still love it to bits..

I reckon for 10k you will pick a decent one up,there are a couple in the FSAW thread right now.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 AM

thanks for the advice on what to look for, service wise. You are right- although higher mileage cars are often ignored, so long as they have been serviced right and, as a bonus, have just had their major service, they do make some financial sense.

mark- i had seen yours this morning, thanks for the prompt!