UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Import vs UK

Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import vs UK

Folks, just been directed to this forum from civic type r boards.
I'm looking into buying an S2000 after parting company with my Civic Type R. Was just wondering what the differences are between the JDM S2000 and the UK version, apart from the usual - rear foglight, mph & kmh issue, what are the fundemental differences between the 2 and is it better sticking with UK or are high grade Jap versions a suitable alternative?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 AM

There aren't any massive differences IMO.
Only the high spec JDM's (like mine ) have full leather seats. The standard ones are half-leather. The high-spec ones may also have factory-fitted satnav (which was never an option in the UK). I've yet to come across anyone who has got it working in the UK though.

It's more important to run the JDM's on the higher RON petrol as they're designed for something like 100 RON in Japan as opposed to 98 over here.

The JDM apparently has a few more BHP provided you stick with the right fuel but they also need de-restricting to reach top speed.

You have to consider your insurer more carefully with a JDM obviously. Some wont cover you.

The security features on the JDM aren't up to much. No alarm, no immob, no locking wheel nuts.

The rest are mainly cosmetic differences. (Different alloys, Honda badge missing from the wing, different shape number plates etc.)

Anything else anyone?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Just to add; I'm talking mostly about my JDM which is an MY99. Things might be different on the newer ones and you don't specify if you want new or used.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Are there different variants (like SE or whatever) of the JDM ones?
Have both got slip diffs?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Both have the diff. As far as I'm aware there are no different variants engine-wise, same as the UK. I could be wrong though.

I thought this thread would be heaving with replies by now. Where the hell is everyone?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM

Out in the sun, roofs down!!
Can you recommend any importers? Was white only available to JDM? Take it parts etc are all the same. I had a JDM Prelude BB4 a few years ago and found it no problems for MOT's and parts etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Parts and everything are the same. Mine was already imported by the previous owner but everyone on here seems to recommend Bob Gerard if you want an import.

White was only available as a JDM. Something to do with the chemical used in the paint didn't fit in with EU regulations, so I've heard. You can now get a UK spec in white though.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM

For sale:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=516022

Again, don't know what year you might be after but this is a beautiful example having seen it first-hand.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM

5 months too early, I'm away to Angola with work till early next year. It ticks all the write boxes though. Colour i'm after and most of the mods I'd be looking at doing. Says its de-limited? And notice its still in km's, is converting a costly job?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM

That one I can't answer I'm afraid. I think I did well getting this far. Maybe try a search?
If you do manage to get hold of that 'S' though, there'll be a few jealous people on here, myself included.

There'll be others along shortly to stick their oar in and help answer your questions. I'm out of ideas now.

Quick Reply: Import vs UK