UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which induction kit?

Old 11-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which induction kit?

Hi all,

I’m considering getting a new induction kit, what is everyone running? I am tempted by the k&n FIPK I must say.

Dan
Old 11-25-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I will have a (very rare and gorgeous sounding) HKS RSK for sale if you’re interested soon?

I’m biased, but it’s truly wonderful to listen to. Fitment is great and feels quicker (by the butt dyno at least).

Has a recent filter element change too.

PM if interested
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

That's scuppered that then i was going to say not the K&N
Old 11-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been tempted to change intake on my S2k as negligible power gains available. No harm in trying it as you'll undoubtedly get your money back if you choose to move it on.

I've just removed a K&N drop-in filter from my FK2 as I'm nervous about contamination of the intake air given that it's a daily driver. I just wanted to see if it would improve the sound (and more likely to improve power given that it's FI) and it certainly achieved that.

Why don't you recommend the K&N FIPK, Ray?

(Ed.) Tango, is that HKS kit DBW compatible?

Last edited by Stevo071077; 11-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo071077
I've never been tempted to change intake on my S2k as negligible power gains available. No harm in trying it as you'll undoubtedly get your money back if you choose to move it on.

I've just removed a K&N drop-in filter from my FK2 as I'm nervous about contamination of the intake air given that it's a daily driver. I just wanted to see if it would improve the sound (and more likely to improve power given that it's FI) and it certainly achieved that.

Why don't you recommend the K&N FIPK, Ray?

(Ed.) Tango, is that HKS kit DBW compatible?
The actual K&N drop in filter is better than the FIPK at doing it's job but the FIPK wins on sound, the down side is heat transfer from within the engine bay it's designed for left hookers which have the aircon pipe running down the opposite side to ours hence why it it's such a shit fit plus the cone itself is smaller so to draw the same amount of air it has to have a larger micron hole which is the reason it's soaked in oil which also drys out at an alarming rate due to the heat pulled in from the engine because it's so ill fitting this means it needs re-oiling at regular intervals, the one above is a good design sealing out the bay as much as poss, just my opinion of cause everyone is entitled to run which every filter looks or sounds best to them
Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Just so you're aware an aftermarket "induction" only adds performance sound and not real performance. Love the sound of my K&N FIPK but I should have just done the LHT airbox modification and saved my money.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-26-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AEM V2 for me.

Great sound and no heatsoak.

Only negative is the potential to hydrolock - just don't drive through a ford...
Old 11-26-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

airbox lid off sounds baaaad to me and worst of both worlds, at least the K&N tries to seal to the bonnet!

having said that my TTS intake is just a filter in the bay, ok when you're moving i guess..

Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just so you're aware an aftermarket "induction" only adds performance sound and not real performance. Love the sound of my K&N FIPK but I should have just done the LHT airbox modification and saved my money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmCg61MOFE

-- Chuck
Some people have said they notice an improvement in throttle response, do you not find this to be the case?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

An easy test of throttle response you can run in the morning:

Pull the airbox cover. You'll probably feel improved throttle response and power but dozens of dyno tests have documented every time that removing the airbox cover results in less power. Perception ain't reality in this case. The K&N has shown a small increase of a couple of ponypower (too little to call it horsepower) in dyno tests but the chief benefit is the perception of more power from the intake noise as it's really too little to detect other than on a dyno.

I fully understand the want/need to tweak a car. Within the first couple of weeks owning my S2000 I fitted items two I knew would benefit it: FIPK and a shock tower cross brace. Heck, they helped my Mustang V8s! Power gain from the intake is only measurable with instruments -- but sounds great! -- and the shock tower brace is very handy for something to hold on leaning over the engine. These remain for the cosmetics and they impress the guys doing the Virginia annual inspection (not sure the FIPK will meet the UK MOT inspection).

I did get a very nice performance gain to my 2006 DBW car with an etune, highflow cat, and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust. The FIPK is still there and may help a little. With a tuneable ECU and knowledgeable tuner the mid range power can be greatly increased by lowing the VTEC to 3600 or so.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Which induction kit?