UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Information for 09 owners

Just to add another car to the long list of 09 cars that developed the infamous 2-2.5K rattle.

Thankfully my car is very low mileage (4000mile) and was caught early (and fixed) but the dialogue with HUK has thrown up some interesting information which may help other owners. Given I had to press HUK for a recognition that the noise from my car was not correct I have asked HUK if they would share their finding from mine and all the other cars that have been “repaired” with their dealer network but they appear to be unwilling to do so. I have asked them several times.

This is resulting in the ridiculous situation where dealers are allegedly hearing the infamous rattle, speaking to Honda Tech Support and are still sending owners away saying it is a characteristic of the vehicle and no other cars are demonstrating this noise.

So my advice to anyone with a 09 is, car park it against a wall (or in a garage) and modulate the accelerator between 2-2.5 revs. Clutch in is a good idea. If you hear a faint metallic tapping/rattle take your car to a dealer, get them to confirm they can hear the noise and then ask them to check for end float on the crank. If they speak to Honda Tech Support and the feedback is that this is an unknown issue I suggest that you ask them to escalate the call to the Manager for Customer Operations (Steve Dyer).

To undertake a proper check this will involve removing the sump.

Despite make the noise mine came back within tolerance (but only just) with no debris in the sump so was authorised for thrust washer replacement. Another much higher mileage car that was in at the same time had a full short motor replacement. It a pity that car wasn’t identified earlier. It’s been widely posted elsewhere on the forum stories from other owners.

There has been much speculation about this on the forum but hopefully this will be of use to other owners when talking to dealers

Grateful if we could keep this thread focused on supporting other owners and not have it turn into a Honda bashing session.

My car is back on the road now and driving fine, as are others.

If anyone would like a recommendation for a S2000 friendly dealer in the North of the country feel free to drop me a PM.

If anyone would like to email Steve Dyer the format of email addressed for Honda UK is firstname.secondname@honda-eu.com

Cheers
Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Glad you are getting sorted now
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Kiteland, which dealer fixed your car?

Chris.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Kiteland, which dealer fixed your car?

Chris.

I've dropped you a PM as I agreed to not post their name so they dont get swamped with calls.

That said, happy to PM details to anyone with an 09 that needs a knowledgeable dealer to speak to
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't got an 09 or any problems with my car, I was just curious.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM
P 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this post Kiteland

This is of enormous help to me and other 09 owners who have the engine noise you are referring to and have met with the dealer response GREGSTERWIZ has described (as i did).

My car is now booked in for diagnostic checks, with the dealer happy to liaise with Honda UK on the basis of the information you have supplied. As you might imagine, the promise of a reliable diagnosis is a great relief after a relatively long period of uncertainty about the health of my engine.

Very many thanks for your efforts in taking this up with Honda and sharing the outcome here. This is a great example of the worth of this community.

I do hope that Honda make contact with the dealer network to advise them of the issue and how to proceed when a customer presents a car with similar symptoms.

As promised in my original thread, I will let the forum know the outcome with my car.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
LTB

Good information to know for those with an 09.

Are S2KUK lobbying HUK on this ? Surely this is the kind of issue where the club ought to be stepping up.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by LTB

Are S2KUK lobbying HUK on this ? Surely this is the kind of issue where the club ought to be stepping up.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by LTB' timestamp='1308174182' post='20686510

I see Bokkie on a regular basis, the name given at HondaUK isn't one i mention unless I fancy running the risk of a punch in the face. The level of service she's received from the department that HE runs is abysmal, she may only be one customer out of thousands but her experiences with them mirror my own - the level of commercial arrogance is stunning. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just his stafff that were next to useless, missed calls back, failed to reply to emails but he's as bad if not worse.

Oh and the only reason she's not posted up about it herself in any detail is that the issues are STILL ongoing. 18 months of customer service involvement, dealer ineptitude ( there is no other word for it ) have all taken their toll on how she feels about the car. She'll no doubt correct me, but I think it has spent almost 3 months in total at the Dealer.

I watch with interest but I remain to be convinced and there's no way in hell i'd ever buy another Honda.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by LTB

It is, but they won't be. Just like suspension bushes I'm afraid.

One of the reasons I have not renewed this year.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners