UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance

Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

My insurance renewal is due in a couple of weeks and I had some really good quotes. Then, a few days ago, a van hit (and wrote off) my parked Accord before driving away - thankfully it was witnessed. As I now have a claim in progress, my premiums for the S have shot up. Its pretty unfair in the insurance world.

Trev
Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 AM

Bad Luck,

Was the other party insured?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM

It seems yes, but with some obscure company in France (French registration).

Trev
Old 04-03-2007, 12:45 AM

It might be worth checking out your legal cover to see if you can recover all additional costs arrising from the accident. After all there was that expensive china in the boot and the hire car you are having to use etc....

Neil
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Crotch Rocket,Apr 3 2007, 09:45 AM
After all there was that expensive china in the boot and the hire car you are having to use etc....

That is the reason (at least in part, anyway) why insurance premiums go up so much. It then becomes a vicious circle - premiums go up to pay for inflated claims, making people feel aggrieved at having to pay so much for insurance, and then prompting them to feel they should inflate any claim of their own that they have to make, so as to get "their money's worth".
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Apr 3 2007, 08:55 AM

That is the reason (at least in part, anyway) why insurance premiums go up so much. It then becomes a vicious circle - premiums go up to pay for inflated claims, making people feel aggrieved at having to pay so much for insurance, and then prompting them to feel they should inflate any claim of their own that they have to make, so as to get "their money's worth".
really?

it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that insurance companies take every opportunity to wriggle out of claims, reduce the amount of the claim and delay paying out till the last minute?

as well as trying to push people to use cheaper and lower quality 'approved repairers'

of course, if all that were true, it would hardly be surprising if people saw the companies as fair game

who was it that sung a song about this being a 'material world?'

Old 04-03-2007, 02:01 AM

Point taken, but its also unfair if you suffer financial loss because of someone elses behavior and you should be fully compenstated. Every time I've encountered a problem at the hands of another moterist where insurance was involved, you get a settlement but it never covers your real financial loss.

If they play fair with me I'll play fair with them! All I want from insurers is proper compenstaion for losses incurred, I do not seek to make a profit.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 AM

but once the claim has settle you should get your money back.
i suspect you have legal cover and they can recoup money for loss of use etc.

sods law i'm afraid and suspect it will take months to settle.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Insurance companies regularly rip you off on the valuation of a vehicle if it is written off, I bet you can't go out and buy an identical car to the one you have lost with the settlement they offer.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 AM

As everyone has said above, you'll be able to recover the difference in premiums and may find it's all sorted once the case has settled. However you're going to have to stump up in the short term and if the driver decides to dispute the crash (and as a barrister I can tell you that they regularly do even in the face of extreme evidence) it could take years. Sorry!

Quick Reply: Insurance