UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Of insurance, temporary plates and registration

Old 11-15-2002, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Of insurance, temporary plates and registration

Hi all,

A little bit of advice regarding my imminently arriving import would be most appreciated. My MCB is arriving a couple of months early so I need to get my finger out and start organising a few things.

The supplying dealer will provide temp plates and 3rd party insurance for 14 days for 60 Euros which seems a reasonable price but I'd have major reservations about driving the new car 3rd party on the wrong side of unfamiliar roads!

Is it possible to get comprehensive insurance through my supplier? Or should I ask him to transport the vehicle to the ferry port? I would enjoy a trip over to Holland to collect the car so if I can do it it would be the best option. My insurance company won't insure it until it's in the UK at which point there is no problem and they'll insure on the VIN.

The delivery charge to the UK if they bring it over for me is around
Old 11-15-2002, 11:23 AM

Just get it delievered, the risks are too high driving on 3rd party trade plates and I dont know of any UK insurance company will insure the car until it arrives on UK soil.

I did this, the car arrived in perfect nick with 10miles on the clock so it was all above board.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2002, 11:43 AM

I couldn't wait any longer and went over and collected our car from Rotterdam, the supplier Verhagens put trade plates on it for me and let us follow one of there drivers to the Hook, when we got to the ferry we took the trade plates off and drove onto the ferry as soon as you land in the UK its fully insured, so the only bit not covered is on the ferry, which is reasonably safe. as for cost we flew easy jet
Old 11-15-2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Lou.2k
As for registration, would it be worth delaying the registration until Jan 03? Would this make a difference on resale value? I plan to keep the car for 2 or 3 years.

Many thanks for any advice or info,

Lou
I would think you'd have to delay the registration until Mar 03 to have any effect upon resale value as thats when the new 03 plate comes out. Not really practicable waiting that long, because if that logic was followed to its conclusion then the car wouldn't have been bought in the first place so as to realise an even greater saving

good luck
Old 11-16-2002, 01:56 AM
Ade

Lou, it sounds like you're importing from Verhagen like myself and a number of others on the board. Good decision. I brought mine back through the tunnel after flying across and spending some time in Amsterdam. I had to pay extra for thrid party insurance and this was costly. You might want to check that the export license does include this. I thought it did but was wrong.

I think the cost of transportation sounds very reasonable and considering its winter the drive back might not be so great, for what its worth I would go for the transporter
Gary makes a good point here and I agree entirely. Having done it I doubt I'd do it again, especially in this weather.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Banned

If I was you I'd get it transported. I'm using these http://www.walon.co.uk/ and it's collected from Belgium and dropped off at my door for
Old 11-16-2002, 08:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subaru2000
[B]If I was you I'd get it transported. I'm using these http://www.walon.co.uk/ and it's collected from Belgium and dropped off at my door for
Old 11-17-2002, 01:25 PM

Thanks all for the useful advice.

My current thinking is to get her brought back on a transporter and save all the hassle. Originally a long weekend in Amsterdam was planned but originally the car was due to arrive in late Feb - I'm not complaining though, I can't wait for it to arrive.

My thoughts on Jan registration were based on the idea that I could drive in the UK on the temporary Dutch export plates but it seems that this isn't allowed so I'll be registering as soon as is practical once I have delivery.

I was wondering if an 02 registered S2000 will be worth much less than an 03 come 2 or 3 years? When I think about it I realise I don't care!

Cheers,

Lou