UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Internal rattle noise driving me insane.. Behind steering wheel location

Old 07-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Internal rattle noise driving me insane.. Behind steering wheel location

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you guru's may be able to help me out with this internal rattling noise I get over the smallest bumps / lines in the road. Such a minor thing causes it and it's making me go nutty!

It sounds to me like it's coming from directly behind the steering wheel, almost underneath e.g. the area above the foot pedals.

I just cannot track it down for the life of me. I've had my hand on all the trim, nothing

Roof down, still does it

Not the mirror

Not the seat

Not the seatbelt passenger or mine.

Not my keys either.

Any suggestions more than welcomed...

(This small clip was filmed over a small section of bumpy road just to make the noise happen all the time, also excuse the horrific foot on the clutch) It does not do it on the flat etc unless a bump is hit. So something is moving, somewhere... haha

She's all washed ready for it's MOT tomorrow so fingers crossed!

Cheers guys.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tommys2k?
Hi all,

Wondering if any of you guru's may be able to help me out with this internal rattling noise I get over the smallest bumps / lines in the road. Such a minor thing causes it and it's making me go nutty!

It sounds to me like it's coming from directly behind the steering wheel, almost underneath e.g. the area above the foot pedals.

I just cannot track it down for the life of me. I've had my hand on all the trim, nothing

Roof down, still does it

Not the mirror

Not the seat

Not the seatbelt passenger or mine.

Not my keys either.

Any suggestions more than welcomed...

https://vimeo.com/281182968

(This small clip was filmed over a small section of bumpy road just to make the noise happen all the time, also excuse the horrific foot on the clutch) It does not do it on the flat etc unless a bump is hit. So something is moving, somewhere... haha

She's all washed ready for it's MOT tomorrow so fingers crossed!

Cheers guys.
Had similar when I got my S going over a cobbled street turned out to be a loose sub frame bold. but could be almost anything. I've also had a rattling roof catch that sounded like it came from the foot well but obviously not in your case.

Last edited by richmc; 07-24-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like it could indeed be from under the car. Possibly a bit too low pitch for it to be under the dash !
Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, my personal opinion from driving it is that it's 99% coming from inside the car, it doesn't sound like a mechanical noise, more like plastic touching plastic. So frustrating... haha.

In other news, the old girl passed her MOT today.

I will get to the bottom of it!