UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

It's quiet round here/Facebook etc

Old 04-05-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Given the age and rarity of the ‘lude now, and the online behaviours of the buyers/owners then perhaps this is indicative of where S2KI (the UK and IE portion) might be going?
All car forums by the looks of it, Facebook is ruining more than kids lives it seems.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
All car forums by the looks of it, Facebook is ruining more than kids lives it seems.
There was an attempt to turn the forum into a Facebook clique a few years back. It masqueraded under the pretence of making the forum friendlier. Fortunately the majority of that clique (guests naturally) have fecked off to Facebook or some other loser's paradise but a significant number of interesting old guard moved on not long after.

Technical forums can only rehash content so many times, much like classic car mags - how many E -type buyer's guides can you write before yours becomes pointless? I suspect the definitive guide was written around 1985. There can be a second wind based on things like a modding scene or restoration but these rarely sustain significant traffic.

What can sustain a forum is a vibrant community that discusses other marques and current affairs. Once those are shut down or become dormant the writing is on the wall. I don't think you can attract people back.

Then there's the demographic. LG is right in touching on a certain type who owned the cars back in the day. Plenty of us bought them new at £25K plus and so that certain type tended be older, articulate, employed and experienced.

Once you started to see an influx of 20 somethings who couldn't spell or construct a sentence but vehemently asserted their expertise and validity of opinion on subjects they knew nothing about, wiser heads sighed and moved on.

A shame, but we all die, including forums.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

From what I hear, the S2KUK Facebook is going quite well. Certainly lots of meet attendees are signing up there rather than here.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I've not been passing here as much, mostly as I've reached a point where I've got the car where I want it, know where to source information if I do ( use the search), and don't have anything I can give back to the community that hasn't already been written other than recommendations for where to buy something or how good it is, etc. and for a social life, I tend to go to the pub

I recently joined a FB group (non-car related) and one of the things that it doesn't have over a forum is the ability to sensibly order information, what you get is a stream of the same questions/problems and the same answers - I can see it having a very short-lived appeal to me but I'm also suffering from fora-fatigue, I just couldn't bring myself to join another support forum.

I do miss the new S2000-owner posts asking how to fix a passenger window that won't go up, or a jolly good wind-up about the secret compartment so I'll still be checking up just in case !
Old 04-05-2018, 04:46 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
I've not been passing here as much, mostly as I've reached a point where I've got the car where I want it, know where to source information if I do ( use the search), and don't have anything I can give back to the community that hasn't already been written other than recommendations for where to buy something or how good it is, etc. and for a social life, I tend to go to the pub

I recently joined a FB group (non-car related) and one of the things that it doesn't have over a forum is the ability to sensibly order information, what you get is a stream of the same questions/problems and the same answers - I can see it having a very short-lived appeal to me but I'm also suffering from fora-fatigue, I just couldn't bring myself to join another support forum.

I do miss the new S2000-owner posts asking how to fix a passenger window that won't go up, or a jolly good wind-up about the secret compartment so I'll still be checking up just in case !
I joined one of the s2000 FB groups and agree, it bombards me with stuff (often crap) and I think the platform is probably trying to be all things to all men and as a result is wank at everything.

I​​​​​I think that's a quote.

Anyway.. the content here has some gems but I can't see it being around forever.. servers ain't free and all that jazz.

If someone could rationalise it and PDF it up that would be great. Tah.

S2KUK doesn't have a forum does it?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

S2KUK doesn't have a forum does it?
No, just a facebook page.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
From what I hear, the S2KUK Facebook is going quite well. Certainly lots of meet attendees are signing up there rather than here.
excellent - let's hope they stay there with their like-minded friends
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by gaddafi
excellent - let's hope they stay there with their like-minded friends
Much like the <10 of us who post here regularly...
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My problem with FB is the amount of meaningless one line banter that gets posted. Just so much bollocks, and not a lot of useful help and support.
I don't see the forum as a chatroom; more of a very helpful source of information and experience.
Surely there's room for both platforms.
Please, let's not allow this one to die.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I could care less which one people use - i like here, i also like Facebook ... i'll happily switch between the two.

Quick Reply: It's quiet round here/Facebook etc