UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jack smiths

Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a roof fitted by smith's last summer and overall im pretty pleased with it as Ive had no Leaks or problems what so ever. Yes the overall quality isn't as good as OEM as there is some visible stitching and glue on the inside lining but nothing too noticeable.

I have pics on page 2 of my progress thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...k/page__st__25

(the only 2 niggles i have are:

Jack told me that I now have to hold the brace bar above the window back by hand when i put the roof down because on the OEM roof it runs through some elastic band type things, where as on this roof it doesn't. Its no problem but i fear one of my friend may put the roof down when im not looking without holding it and that could potentially tear the roof... Or so im told.

And the other niggle is that the fabric tucks in better behind the rear window on the drivers side than it does on the passenger side. Its hardly noticeable though)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome233

Jack told me that I now have to hold the brace bar above the window back by hand when i put the roof down because on the OEM roof it runs through some elastic band type things, where as on this roof it does'nt.
They're usually pretty worn out anyway, so it's worth replacing them. Most people make some, there are threads showing how.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Originally Posted by Fatbloke' timestamp='1452772793' post='23851943
Mine's been fine. Nothing wrong with Jack Smith's unless you're Mikefifth or you've just bought an expensive hood elsewhere, in which Smith's is rubbish, your car will catch fire and your cock will probably rot off.

Buy cheap, buy twice yawn blah blah etc.

Yes yes, very funny Ian.

I wouldn't recommend anyone going there as my hood is shite, whilst the quality of the materials is good the fitment is poor.

But heaven forbid someone speak foul of an s2ki treasure, no matter how bad their product is.
If it's not up to scratch, i'll gladly speak foul. I fully intend on having a monsoon hood on mine this year. I don't care if it's 3 times the price, I can't stand things not fitting properly or looking right!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm ok... So some more sketchy reviews than what I've previously heard then.... Hmm maybe I'll reconsider....

Hay fatty, missed you baby!! PWRR is what I'm joining so I'm at Catterick for 28weeks training.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

In terms of proportion, there are approximately 2 negative reviews and at least 10-15ish satisfied customers I've seen comment on this forum. Given that people generally complain more than they give plaudits, I think it's a fairly small proportion of unhappy customers.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome233
Jack told me that I now have to hold the brace bar above the window back by hand when i put the roof down because on the OEM roof it runs through some elastic band type things, where as on this roof it doesn't. Its no problem but i fear one of my friend may put the roof down when im not looking without holding it and that could potentially tear the roof... Or so im told.
The elastic is part of/attached to the frame, not the hood fabric itself, so it’s not part of the replacement, strictly speaking, and you’ll probably find the old ones are still attached. They stretch and lose their elasticity over time, but there’s a good how-to fix by one of the regulars on here somewhere.

I’ve no idea if the pricier hood options include replacement of the elastic, but it’s not worth the extra £500+ for something you can do for £5 and 30 mins of your own time, so don’t let that be the deciding factor when choosing where to go.

Overall quality is another matter. I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, general opinion seems to be that the expensive options are slightly better, but it’s minor details. Some people have mentioned that the way Jack Smith’s (Ray, not Jack – Jack is dead) fits the window glass is different to others, but it’s not unsightly, and the only other thing is the occasional bit of glue overspill, which picks off easily, and loose threads to be trimmed off. Again, not worth the extra £500+, to me at least. 98% of the quality for 33% of the price is easy maths.

There’s been very few complaints about Smiths. ChrisPayze’s back panel didn’t sit quite right and was replaced, Chrome233 (above)with his uneven tucking and Mike5th, but he’s a tw4t and no-one likes him anyway, so it was probably deliberate. Meanwhile, Smiths are raved about on here and every other soft top forum, and there’s been just as many people moaning about the expensive options.

If you’ve got special concerns, like Major General Weaty (and he’s really very special), or you’re perfectionism is on an OCD level, or Swansea is too far, go elsewhere, but Smiths is no greater risk than anywhere else and 99% certain you’ll get a trouble free bargain.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
In terms of proportion, there are approximately 2 negative reviews and at least 10-15ish satisfied customers I've seen comment on this forum. Given that people generally complain more than they give plaudits, I think it's a fairly small proportion of unhappy customers.
There's been lots of people, probably running into the 100's, who've said they've booked with JS, so assuming they would have said if there was a problem, the ratio of dissatisfied to satisfied customers is tiny.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by weatyGT
Hmm ok... So some more sketchy reviews than what I've previously heard then.... Hmm maybe I'll reconsider....

Hay fatty, missed you baby!! PWRR is what I'm joining so I'm at Catterick for 28weeks training.
Easy Tiger. Best of luck with that
Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 AM

[/quote]

ChrisPayze’s back panel didn’t sit quite right and was replaced, Chrome233 (above)with his uneven tucking and Mike5th, but he’s a tw4t and no-one likes him anyway, so it was probably deliberate. Meanwhile, Smiths are raved about on here and every other soft top forum, and there’s been just as many people moaning about the expensive options.

[/quote]

That is the general consensus!

In all seriousness the negative reviews are a minority, but if like me and you are one of the unfortunate customers who got a shite deal, being told "oh but only 1 in 100 ever complain etc" is not very reassuring.

Putting all reviews, customer service issues, personal opinion to a side, the fact of the matter is that the hood that has been put on my car is not fit for purpose.

If you wish to take this risk and have a half price hood put on your car then that is your prerogative.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No major issues on mine, it keeps me dry when it rains and it goes up and down without issue.

I won't lie, there are a few very minor faults, like a bit of glue on the inside, a little bit of material hasn't been cut 100% straight in my rear view mirror. But for £180 I'm happy as it doesn't leak and does its job.

Quick Reply: Jack smiths