Jack smiths - Page 21 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jack smiths

Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
Seats stay in. He told me to keep the roof up for an hour or so after fitting.
Cheers for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ade73 For This Useful Post:
trails (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM

It's tough to close for the first week or so, but 3 weeks in I no longer need to use the handle to pull it closed to get the latches engaged. I have however noticed the afore mentioned rattle from a bit of rivet in the frame from where it was drilled out to replace the straps. doesn't bother me but has been noted by others.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Default new roof

I had my 2002 car done in June at allhoods of Romford, great job in Mohair for £695 incl vat. I thought it was a great price for an excellent job done. I have seen that others have been quoted less and having been there it does come across as a bit Arthur Daly... but all in all I was happy with the outcome.
Monsoon had quoted me £790 for mohair, and wouldn't promise the sides above the windows wouldn't continue to leak unless I changed the rubber sealing strips. Allhoods showed me where the roof on the original didn't hang over enough as it had shrunk back, and had never had to change the rubbers seals over the windows, on the new roof it is clearly a better fit.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Well I had my Roof replaced at Jacks on Tuesday.

I had the usual wear behind the doors and a couple of bits wearing through behind the drivers head. Not bad for an original roof on a 18 year old car.

A drive down from Chester Le Street via Chester Zoo and driving the twisty welsh roads to Swansea. Dropped off in the morning at 8.30 and it was ready by 12.50. Ray made quick work of getting the roof off and explaining how he would leave out 2 of the tonneau bolts where the new glass would fold in and it would be tight for a bit so give it a hand open and closing.

Looks good, and the welsh weather tested it for leaks.

Over 750 miles and I didn't see another S2000.

Quick wash and its back in the garage, while I get it ready for new discs, pads and refurbished calipers (I'm stripping them and a mate is blasting and powder coating)

Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 PM

Looks good, why is the window so much smaller though? Is that just the difference in the glass and plastic rear screens?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by har-vey View Post
Looks good, why is the window so much smaller though? Is that just the difference in the glass and plastic rear screens?
Yes. The plastic window folds and, unsurprisingly, the glass one doesn't!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by har-vey View Post
Yes that's all it is, plastic folds glass doesn't. Tricky reversing now as I can't see the end of the boot lid compared to with the plastic.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ade73 View Post
Well I had my Roof replaced at Jacks on Tuesday.

Looks good, and the welsh weather tested it for leaks.
Don't you mean leeks

Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Well I'm down tomorrow for a new roof, fortunately he's only an hour away from me so a short trip.

Any idea how long the fit will take? I've already stripped the interior. (Roof leaks, so I've been sans plastics for a month or so. Makes for a noisy cabin!)
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Took the car down to Jacks yesterday, started at 09:00, and I drove away by 13:00. Probably would have been away faster, but he does like to talk! For £300, I am most satisfied. I took a pair of small fabric scissors and tidied some of the seams when I got home, but I wasn't expecting perfection for a £300 job. To be honest, at £300 you can treat the top as a consumable!

Replacement roof has remedied the small leaks I was experiencing into the boot, however one of those was merely masking another leak from the boot deck! I suspect it's the top of the rear quarter, possibly where that small plastic cover slides into the gap between the boot and the outer wing. (the rear quarter has been replaced in the past). Injected some sealant for the moment to see if this recitifies it. Almost impossible to track it down internally as the water drips down into the area above the inner arch and boot structure so is basically hidden from anything but a boroscope!