UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Jack Smiths Roof Replacement

Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Jack Smiths Roof Replacement

Some advice really please guys and gals.

A roof replacement was always on the cards since I got my new S, but I managed to nurse it through a whole year (regular drop-topping!) without the small ‘B Pillar’ tears getting much worse etc and had planned to let winter do its worst before replacing it in the new year.

Unfortunately, as some of you who have seen my ‘WTB’ post in the other section will know, the plan was kind of moved up a gear when following some drop top driving I raised the roof and watched the rear glass disintegrate into a million pieces!

I am not too fussed; as there was always a plan to replace the damn thing, but I am annoyed that I need a glass, which is of course normally transferred onto the new roof, thus minimising financial expenditure on the job. The old roof however did enjoy a good leak from the folding join when the roof was lowered or when you drive off in the morning etc. Highly annoying, hence another reason I was pleased to be getting a new roof. Then it occurred to me; Jack Smiths will be using the old roof seals won’t they!

I don’t want to throw good money away and just replace them, but the leaking roof has been p***ing me off since I got this S, so I am wondering whether or not just to take the plunge and get my a**e slapped by Honda for new ones?

The chap I spoke to at Jack Smiths is very friendly and helpful, and didn’t seem to think that there would be a problem re-using them, but I will be livid if I go to all this trouble and expense and the chuffing thing is still leaking on me! I of course won’t have the luxury of choosing to replace them there and then in Swansea if we do discover that the old ones have had it.

I have been lucky enough to source a replacement glass at a fair price, and am soon to pick it up and get it sent over to Swansea so that they can begin bonding it into the material in preparation etc. The plan is to leave mine (Essex) one day after Christmas and head over there, get the roof swapped, and then continue on towards my girlfriend’s house (Stoke-on-Trent) where we will be staying until the new year. So a day of many miles! Obviously I will have an early start, as I want to be in Swansea first thing for when they open, but I am told the swap process should only take a half day at most, so I could be on my way in good time to see some good Welsh roads.

My questions are these then:

Did anyone else buy new rubber seals in conjunction with having this job done at Jack Smiths? If so, which ones did you buy, where from, and how much? (PM if you like)

For the journey home to Stoke, should I just take the boring M4/M5/M6 route, or can I see some good roads by staying in Wales heading in that direction? (I am aware that this route will be longer, and of course may be on snow covered roads depending on conditions!) – Plus, I’ll avoid paying the Severn Bridge toll twice!

Thanks in advance all.

Dan
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If the seals are OK why change them? they are not cheap! a full set will cost as much as the roof again. I'd see how they are give them a good Shin Etsu'ing and wait. Make sure at jack's they set up the wire tensioners so the roof lies flat along the seals, and i would be tempted to do a premier inn overnight in case the roof takes longer than you have barganed for, I'm guessing four hours to fit and the trip from essex will take around five if the weather is good, i.e. no snow or ice.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pre roof replacement = seals leaked like a seive. Post = no issues whatsoever. I haven't had a soggy seat or shoulder ever since my roof was replaced by Jack Smith's.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

I've been wondering the very same, as mine is leaking more and more these days. Will watch your thread with interest!

By the way, you only pay going into Wales on the Severn bridges, so you could take the long way there and the short way back in the evening?!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 AM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is don't go when England are playing Wales at Rugby.

They're a funny lot at Jack Smiths, took the mick out of me for hours when they did my mx5 hood. I'll go back to them happily when I eventually get an S2k.

IIRC they do a surcharge if you dont have the glass (for mx5'ers atleast?) I didn't have to send them mine, they just used another one and took mine for the next guy I presume?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It's not the roof seals that are leaking - it's more than likely the corner joins at the left and right front corners of the roof where the old glue has come away.

You can see the staining / water marks.

This shows where it gets into the inner rain rail.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA
My advice is don't go when England are playing Wales at Rugby.
Good point actually, watch out for big sports matches at Cardiff. And definitely don't go when Wales vs Eng is on, STAY HOME AND WATCH IT! But then I'm a bit of a rugby nut...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the Same problem. Since going to jack smith I haven't had any trouble, I do however have some spare roof seals I got from a complete roof I bought (I only wanted the glass from it). If you want to use them incase yours don't work then you can.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks all for your information!

Caboose – Yes please that would be great! If I could borrow the roof seals and if the chaps at Jack Smith’s say that mine are knackered I’ll use yours and send the money accordingly.

If they say mine are fine to use, then I’ll send yours back first class!

I’ll cover postage costs all round, just PM me your PayPal details and a rough idea of costs and I’ll sort it all out.

Thanks a lot.

Dan