UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Just bought new plates for my new car.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my 2002 yesterday (Nurbugring Blue, blue dash and leather + blue hood), wh00t :E , but had a mad rush of blood to my head and secured the plate S20 OKS, with a bit of fidderling I am sure it can be made to look more like S200KS.

Now how can I past 5 months of time realy quickly?

Now the question is do I use these plates? I always though people with private reg's were a bit 'noncy', plus I don't want to tarnish the Stooks image by the general public
Old 10-23-2001, 10:48 PM

Put the plates on the car when it comes! I've had cherished plates on all my cars and only ever had good feedback (aside from some good natured ribbing off friends).

I myself changed from my long time plate of the last 6 years to an S200 Oxx plate for the new car... no regrets, I think it adds even more individuality to the car and also gives the less car focused a clue as to what the car is!

Congrats on ordering the blue/blue/blue by the way, I hope you can make it to some meets next year and help break up the Silverstone dominance!

5 months will fly by, keep posting on the site to pass the time
Old 10-23-2001, 11:43 PM

Tifosi is right. Private Plates are noncy in my eyes when they are painfully contrived and stuck on a BMW or a Nova...

I have private plates on my S2000 and while I can afford my car I can have some fun if I feel like it. With uor car it is easier to enjoy a plate. Mine is S200 OSJ. other car plates look more contrived...

Sam.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the positive response fellas.

I think your right that the Stook is cool enough to carry private plates and not look cheesy.

This fourm is now my homepage so it should help the time go quicker.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have recently put 'private' plates on my car (S2X00) after years of railing against the things ('....only bought by egocentric idiots with more money than sense, etc. etc.!!!!)

However, despite a little good natured p!ss taking by those I have shared my views on the subject with, reaction has been positive. I like the fact that the plates pertain to the car (not me), I like the fact that the reg. is so short, and I like the fact that the car is 'age anonymous'. (I also like the fact that my plate was
Old 10-23-2001, 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ooo...ooo....OOO.......Second gear
Old 10-24-2001, 07:56 AM

Easy tiger!

PS only 15 week to go (if it arrives on time!)
Old 10-25-2001, 09:03 AM

On the subject of number plates, apart from obviously having a new number format, these new plates are in a different font. Thing is, ever since they came in, i've noticed masses of cars with the old plate format (ie. V123 ABC) have switched to the new font (ok, ok, i'm a saddo).

What's going on here? Is there some legal requirement that we all switch to the new font size in accordance with some obscure EU rule? Or am i just imagining the whole thing?

s
Old 10-25-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sgrant
On the subject of number plates, apart from obviously having a new number format, these new plates are in a different font. Thing is, ever since they came in, i've noticed masses of cars with the old plate format (ie. V123 ABC) have switched to the new font (ok, ok, i'm a saddo).

What's going on here? Is there some legal requirement that we all switch to the new font size in accordance with some obscure EU rule? Or am i just imagining the whole thing?

s
There is a UK law requiring a fixed font on all new plates. If you've a different font on your current plate you're okay, unless the Police have a problem with it being mispaced etc.

There are quite a few other changes that came in 1st Sept. Check the Dvla web site for more info.

-Brian.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by bmarshall

There is a UK law requiring a fixed font on all new plates. If you've a different font on your current plate you're okay, unless the Police have a problem with it being mispaced etc.

There are quite a few other changes that came in 1st Sept. Check the Dvla web site for more info.

-Brian.
No joke - after September 1st all plate makers are obliged by law to use:

1. the new font
2. number plates specifying the plate maker, the plate supplier and their post codes

Net upshot of this to the man on the street is that very few people will now make up illegaly spaced number plates as they get spanked with a heavy fine if you are stopped by the Police

You can still find the odd place that will make you a set of "signs" that look just like miss-spaced number plates ( ) provided you sign a disclaimer that they are not for road use...

Lots more b*ll*cks about EU signs vs National flags etc. I can't be ar*ed myslef, if they pull me for "S2000 xx" then I get hammered, hey ho.

Quick Reply: Just bought new plates for my new car.