UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N FIPK (Gen II) finally arived and fitted

Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK (Gen II) finally arived and fitted

Hi there,

My K&N kit finally arrived from Autocom in the states last week and I fitted it at the weekend.

I agree with all the comments I have read on the forum about the kit:
- Its pretty easy to fit. Although I had a problem removing a screw from the solonoid fitted to the air box which had me swearing for a while!
- It free's up loads of space under the bonnet!
- It starts to make noise from around 3,000 revs and then goes ballistic from the VTEC point.
- The power chart that comes with the kit guarantee's additional hp at the wheels from the VTEC point and I would say that it probably delivers.
- Throttle response feels better. But it is subtle and may be imagined.

One other thing that I have noticed (and the real purpose of my post) is that the car seems to run hotter with the K&N. Once warmed up (which seems to take less time) the temp gauge reads just below half way between cold and hot (8 bars). I wish I'd checked before I fitted the kit as I don't think it ran that warm before. Perhaps non-K&N owners could let me know what their cars run at.

I'm wondering whether Im being paranoid or whether perhaps I've fitted something wrong!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Nah it only runs hotter because you spend more time in VTEC .

I'll go out on a limb and say that you have no more power at the wheels than you did before. That, unlike the throttle response, is totall imagined .
Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Oct 16 2007, 03:42 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say that you have no more power at the wheels than you did before. That, unlike the throttle response, is totall imagined .
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Oct 16 2007, 03:42 PM

Looking at the chart that comes with the kit though, it looks like what the K&N does is bring forward the power delivery so that rather than an increase in peak power you are getting more (earlier) at the VTEC point.

This was my interpretation of the chart and this is what feels like is happening when driving.

Would appreciate other opinions about the heat thing hopefully to put my mind at rest. Yes I am VTECing more because the sound is awesome but I am noticing the heat increase before I am getting the chance to VTEC.

H
Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally agree, you wont gain anything other than noise with a k&n, its probably a tiny bit more responsive though.

Its been said before the stock airbox is very well designed.

I had the same dilema, i settled for the AEM looking at countless reviews, dyno's and peoples views.

The only cai/filters etc that net some gains are the AEM V2, and gruppe m or mugen which both are pick of the bunch but expensive.

Manfacturers use big fans to blow air in the bonnet and then dyno.

Its so hard to get good gains without spending loads of money on the S
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayd,Oct 16 2007, 04:56 PM
Looking at the chart that comes with the kit though, it looks like what the K&N does is bring forward the power delivery so that rather than an increase in peak power you are getting more (earlier) at the VTEC point.
I would take that with a pinch of salt
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 AM

I was thinking of getting a K&N too, but I also have an HKS exhaust - does anyone know if there would be much noise difference if I fitted the K&N?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM

I have an HKS Hi Power Silent exhuast and then fitted a K&N Gen II. It makes it even louder! It's taken me a little while to get used to it but it's great now
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks Sarren, could i ask what sort of noise it is? Is it just like more HKS noise, or is an additional noise (if that makes sense?)? Can you live with it day to day or is it a bit of a pain after a while? Don't suppose you've got a video / sound clip do you?

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK (Gen II) finally arived and fitted