UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&n fipk intake kit

Old 05-22-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone near south wales so that i may have a listen of theirs please.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Brailer
anyone near south wales so that i may have a listen of theirs please.
If you want to know what it sounds like, just take the lid off the air box and drive with the top down, pretty much the same, also won't give you anything performance wise, but may add to heat soak problems. So not bad for £300 for a bit of snake oil.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I fitted one some 6 years ago. Heat soak almost completely gone. Noise wise not much difference before VTEC, but after WOW. It sounds like a I don't know, Radical on a race track? Performance probably nothing, but it feels faster.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjockhult
I fitted one some 6 years ago. Heat soak almost completely gone. Noise wise not much difference before VTEC, but after WOW. It sounds like a I don't know, Radical on a race track? Performance probably nothing, but it feels faster.
What do u mean by heat soak almost completely gone please.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brailer
What do u mean by heat soak almost completely gone please.
Heat soak can be an issue with some intakes, the standard intake has it's "mouth" a little behind the radiator so can draw in hot air if the car is still for a while at lights etc. normally a quick blip on the accelerator before pulling away prevents the bogging down that can happen. I've found that with the air box lid lifted by taking it off and pushing the clips in then the lid put back over the clips gives about a 5nn gap all around the box, with this set up I've never suffered from heat soak.
Now I know someone with more knowledge of aftermarket intakes will be along, but I have heard of bad heat soak as some seem to be pretty close to the radiator, tjockhult must have found the ideal placement, hopefully not too low as there is a danger of drawing in water on wet roads.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The K&N system really isn't a good set up or a good way to spend your money unless all your after is extra noise, first off it's designed for a left hooker where the air con pipes run down the right hand shock tower which is why you end up with a dirty great gap in that area allowing unwanted hot air into the intake, then the top lip sits right on the top of the rad allowing the hot air from the rad to get sucked in, so if you do use one seal off these areas and fit a cold air pipe to feed the filter, second the OEM filter is actually a high flow filter, if you compare the size of the K&N and the OEM you will see the the K&N is physically a lot small in surface area, so to flow the same or more air than the OEM it needs to have a larger micron filter surface, this gives you more air flow and more noise but at the expense of more crap entering your engine so to combat this you have to oil the filter to catch more dust and why you have to clean them on a regular basis, Honda got around this by having more surface area so you can flow a higher rate with less debris entering the engine the down side is it acts as a silencer,
At the end of the day the choice is yours and if you just want more noise then ok but if that's the case then just build your own system and block off as much hot air as you can and feed in cool air, i built my own and use an OEM filter it cost less than a hundred bone and is a far better set up than a K&N

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 05-23-2018 at 03:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Daytona-Dave:
FuzzFace14 (05-23-2018), har-vey (05-23-2018), lovegroova (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

. Cost is limited to the specific S2000 K&N Filter and your time.

-- Chuck
Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 AM

How about the air box mod with the OEM filter or a Cosworth one? that's supposed to be a high flow filter and not expensive.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Have Cosworth oem filter +airbox mod+snorkle +IAT relocate+ collant bypass+TB thermal gasket = 30hp gains..

Not 30hp really
Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys.

Ray on the money here, the best bang per buck is aem v2 intake, k&n needs fettled to be made half decent.

They above video is bullshit for airbox mod and intake filters adds virtually nothing power wise but increase in sound.

What he is doesn't tell you is you get some nasty resonances so they added a chamber and reservoir to dial the these out, remove these and you add dips in the power curve. It's in America so I already have discount the figure and smoothed graph

Quick Reply: K&n fipk intake kit