UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

K&N Gen II intake

Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No reason why you'd get worse MPG other than your pressing on more cos you want to hear the noise!

Power gains are usually marginal, but throttle response is better.

Only REAL reason for the upgrade is for the noise and its well worth it!

Check this video out of a K&N FIPK, bear in mind the mic is in the engine bay so isn't a fair representation of the volume as experienced from the driving seat, but quality is right up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM6x...e_gdata_player

I've got a PRM Intake, quite a bit louder but a fantastic noise it must be said!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhauri
No reason why you'd get worse MPG other than your pressing on more cos you want to hear the noise!

Power gains are usually marginal, but throttle response is better.

Only REAL reason for the upgrade is for the noise and its well worth it!

Check this video out of a K&N FIPK, bear in mind the mic is in the engine bay so isn't a fair representation of the volume as experienced from the driving seat, but quality is right up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM6x...e_gdata_player

I've got a PRM Intake, quite a bit louder but a fantastic noise it must be said!

'quite a bit louder'? Mate, we couldn't even hear your Cobra exhaust over the PRM! That thing is a monster!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 AM

Haha, I love the PRM, especially when VTEC kicks in. It's like a little hamster in a small engine bay VTEC control room hits a toggle switch!

This Cobra Exhaust is interesting. It seems the original rear tailpipes have been cut off with bigger ones welded onto the back box (over the remaining original tailpipe section. Also found a pinprick hole around the Y section, so just put some exhaust paste on it and it seems to have helped with drone.

I'm convinced I'm down on power in VTEC though, as it feels like an age to get near the redline. Can't see any other 'blowing' so not sure what to think. Others have said they felt gains with this zaust but I'm not sure. Could probably do with comparing with another S2000 down a dual carriage way (or more sensibly, on a dyno)!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhauri
Haha, I love the PRM, especially when VTEC kicks in. It's like a little hamster in a small engine bay VTEC control room hits a toggle switch!

This Cobra Exhaust is interesting. It seems the original rear tailpipes have been cut off with bigger ones welded onto the back box (over the remaining original tailpipe section. Also found a pinprick hole around the Y section, so just put some exhaust paste on it and it seems to have helped with drone.

I'm convinced I'm down on power in VTEC though, as it feels like an age to get near the redline. Can't see any other 'blowing' so not sure what to think. Others have said they felt gains with this zaust but I'm not sure. Could probably do with comparing with another S2000 down a dual carriage way (or more sensibly, on a dyno)!
To be fair, that Cobra has been through the wars

Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 AM

Hahaaa, bloody ell!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately Ray's welding skills managed to get it back in one piece! It was put on by a custom exhaust place in Sheffield (along with my "custom" high flow cat), so not surprised it's been modified a little.

FWIW I didn't notice much difference when I put the stock one back on, but I think I recall Ron saying the design of the system wasn't great - so I'd be surprised if there were any gains by it.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 AM

Cool, not too bad that there wan't much difference with the OEM exhaust back on the car.

I am damn certain that the flow is stifled though, more so a WOT when the most amount of gases need to get through it. Half open seems fairly okay.

Gotten used to the 'boom' a bit, which mostly seems to be the case on engine breaking and around 3k RPM. Other than that its not bad; makes me wonder if I could tolerate a louder system...

I've even looked at the JapSpeed / eBay £250 exhaust and thought, "whats the worst that could happen

Anyways, we've hi-jacked this poor chaps thread - very sorry, hopefully you got all the info you needed from it (i.e. buy the FIPK or even better, a PRM, its all good!!)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my k&n back on track and all that.... Honda Jazz.... boom boom!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

air box lid off, job done
Old 02-05-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 346 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by flybikeslee
air box lid off, job done

Quick Reply: K&N Gen II intake