UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Suspension refresh to improve ride

Old 11-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension refresh to improve ride

I’ve owned my S2000 for coming up for 4 months now. It’s a 2009 Moonrock Grey with just shy of 50k on the clock. I absolutely love the car but the ride quality - particularly at slower speeds - is starting to grind on me. It crashes in and out of bumps and the damping is very poor - it feels like riding in an old black taxi cab!

I considered quite seriously getting rid of the car and recently test drove a number of ‘hot’ hatches. However none gave me the connection and excitement that the S gives me. They just didn’t feel special.

I’d therefore like to see about getting the ride quality improved. All the suspension components on the car are stock, and after 10 years I imagine they are getting pretty tired. I’m looking for advice on what would need done in order to do a full suspension refresh? I’ve read good things about the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers but what about all the other components such as bushes, roll bars, etc? What should be changed and what with? The type of driving i do is fast B roads but also town driving as I live in the centre of Edinburgh. Track use is rare.

I wouldn’t be doing the work myself. I’d probably take it to PerformanceTek in Glasgow who I hear good things about. Cost isn’t a big concern, although I obviously don’t want to spend money for the hell of it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

If Ohlins ,get 100nm all round,eibach front sway bar on soft,or 01 or CR.<usa>can keep rear sway bar><arb>
Am on staggered oem wheels..225/255
check castor bushes they are prone to fail,others should last 200k.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

First question is what tyres are you running? If you have a tyre with a stiff tyre wall then it might be worth going for something with a softer tyre wall to help with the ride.

Also has the alignment been checked?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

^^ tyres have a serious effect too..
to soft a wall and will bump steer like a ford capri !
Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobinA3
First question is what tyres are you running? If you have a tyre with a stiff tyre wall then it might be worth going for something with a softer tyre wall to help with the ride.

Also has the alignment been checked?
Thanks both. I’ve got Potenza RE050As all round with decent tread levels. psi all at 32. The wheels are OEM and staggered (wider at rear than front).

Alignment hasn’t been checked under my ownership and I’ve no record under the previous owner. I thought about getting the alignment done but it feels like money down the drain if I’m getting new suspension parts?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the transport packers have been removed from the springs?
its seems Honda didn’t always do this and some people had them fitted for years, yours been a last year model.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Booti
its seems Honda didn’t always do this and some people had them fitted for years, yours been a last year model.
I was thinking this was worth a check too
Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

get coilovers with helper springs. i would give a few a call, Nitrons are in the UK

https://www.nitron.co.uk/

you could fit winter tyres for now, they are unreal on mine
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good idea, found 4 on mine when i imported it and that was 7 years old....
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM

checked this afternoon and couldn’t see anything. After 10 services at Honda I’d have been seriously doubting their service department if they were still there!!

i think I’m going to go down the Ohlins route (with ride height -10mm) as I’ve not read a bad word about them. I’ll hopefully be able to recoup some of the costs by selling the old stock shock absorbers... expensive way to improve the ride but I can’t continue with the current crashing and juddering in and out of Edinburgh’s roads!

Quick Reply: Suspension refresh to improve ride