UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Key Fob no longer unlocks doors

Old 09-07-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob no longer unlocks doors

Hi there, I have an original Honda s2000 and just recently I found that I'm unable to unlock the doors with my key fob. It hasn't failed in 15 years so I guess it was only a matter of time =)

When I press the unlock button, there are no "unlocking" sounds from either of the doors like there normally is. I replaced the battery in the remote but that didn't help.

Of course, I can manually enter the car with the key but then the alarm goes off and I feel like a burglar.

If something needs to be replaced within the car (actuator?), I can drive it to a dealership but how can I disable the alarm once I'm in?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by secluder
Hi there, I have an original Honda s2000 and just recently I found that I'm unable to unlock the doors with my key fob. It hasn't failed in 15 years so I guess it was only a matter of time =)

When I press the unlock button, there are no "unlocking" sounds from either of the doors like there normally is. I replaced the battery in the remote but that didn't help.

Of course, I can manually enter the car with the key but then the alarm goes off and I feel like a burglar.

If something needs to be replaced within the car (actuator?), I can drive it to a dealership but how can I disable the alarm once I'm in?

Wouldnt the alarm stop when you started the car with the factory key? Just wondering.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Unfortunately, no. Even if I start the car, the alarm just continues. You would think that would be enough to cancel the alarm.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 AM

Have you tried re-coding the remote to your car since replacing the battery?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 AM

I may be wrong, but doesn't the fob also deactivate the immobiliser?? On my AP1 with the 2 button remote this is the case.
Strange that you can start the engine also??
There are recoding instructions in the technical FAQ if needed. (I also have a copy if you can't find them)

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-08-2015, 02:18 AM

Yeah, they fob de-activates the locks, alarm and immobiliser allowing car start.

Key will allow entry to vehicle but not engine start alone.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:06 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

Sounds like the UK models are different? This was quite alarming (no pun) needing the remote AND the key so I just went out and checked:

My USA-spec '06 AP2 -- like all the rest of 'em -- fires up with just the key, the remote ain't necessary. The immobilizer transponder is built into the keys. (Just verified this with both removes 75 feet away.) Not sure how the valet key would work since there's no remove with it.

-- Chuck
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 AM

It'll probably be to do with the alarm systems fitted by UK dealers here when the cars arrived - different set ups, eh?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:22 AM

I would say a remote re-coding to the car is probably the easiest place to start to see if it enables your to deactivate the alarm.
You mention "both" remotes? Take it you have the same problem with both?? This would be unusual for the car to lose the coding for both of them.
The only other thing I can think of would be to remove car battery just to reset things and eliminate anything spurious on the car side.

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-09-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by secluder

I had the reverse, fob would unlock the car and disarm the immobiliser but wouldn't lock it. I thankfully I have the 2nd fob which works (though had to swap buttons round).

Quick Reply: Key Fob no longer unlocks doors