UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Keys locked in car

Old 02-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys locked in car

This morning I thoguht I'd top up the tyres before taking the car out. Electric pump plugged in to cigar lighter... keys in ignition... pumping away nicely. Due to the width of my garage I needed to shut the car doors. 15 seconds later the s2k locks itself!

So my only set of keys and fob are locked in the car, enjoying the sounds of Led Zeppelin.

I've come to work and had to leave it that way.

What are my options here? My hood has the usual rip so I'm wondering about my coathanger options - are the door openers deadlocked in this situation or can I pull the door lever? Other than that I need to somehow press the unlock button on a dangling fob... not looking forward to trying that!

Cheers

Gary
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 AM

...or perhaps easier try and press the window button from the hole in your roof..... either way.... a video/picture of the device you decide to create wouldbe great
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The seal between the window and the door has a gap in one area, you can put a strong but thin wire, simular to the coat hanger but it will have to be quite long, use it to turn the ignition off then the doors will open again.

Try not to cause wear to the seals, you can put a small piece of cardboard so the metal wont be rubbing directly on the seal or glass but on the cardboard instead
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 AM

Cheers guys I'll make a wire coathanger arrangement then and hopefully I'll be able to get at either the ignition switch or window switches.

I can't quite remember the shape of the switch.. whether it's too rounded to be catchable in this way.

I'd better go home around lunch time before the battery dies...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 AM
tej

I did something similar though I'm surprised the car has locked itself with the key turned even 1 notch? I always thought it was a massive flaw in the S's design. Once you open a door it should prevent the auto lock feature from kicking in, but it doesn't seem to work with the passenger door.

One time I opened the car from the passenger side, leaned over and popped the bonnet then through the keys on the passenger seat, closed the door and went to check the oil. Couldn't get back in as the car had locked itself!

Had to gently put a coat hanger between the window and door seal, scoop up the key and pull it through the window gap far enough to push the other end of the coat hanger onto the button to unlock the door!

Not a mistake I ever made again!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeh,Feb 3 2011, 09:18 AM
The seal between the window and the door has a gap in one area, you can put a strong but thin wire, simular to the coat hanger but it will have to be quite long, use it to turn the ignition off then the doors will open again.

Try not to cause wear to the seals, you can put a small piece of cardboard so the metal wont be rubbing directly on the seal or glass but on the cardboard instead
that's what the RAC did when i locked mine in the car
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 AM

I did something similar last month, managed to lock my keys in the boot. Called the AA and they sent someone out who said he would attempt to break in to the car using a wire or some type of tool as mentioned above. He said he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't damage the car in doing so. So I told him I wasn't willing to take the risk or sign his waver.

He contaced a locksmith within the AA who came out the next day, he tried to pick the lock - he spent 30 mins trying, but he wasn't able to (which I guess is a good thing!)

In the end, got a spare key cut from Honda garage

Not sure if this will help you though, but since I only had one key for the car, the new spare will come in useful incase this happens again
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM

Well, after only 15 minutes of fiddling, I'm in!

A single wire coathanger with 15mm hook on the end is able to reach the key and hook into it, but isn't able to apply enough rotational force when pulled due to the orientation of the key when in the first position, and the 'angle of attack' from the window rubber.

The same coathanger was also able to positively engage with the e-window switches, but these are dead in position 1 it seems.

However, it also hooks nicely on to the 'lock' switch next to the door opening handle, and managed to unlock the car. Hopefully these are deadlocked when locked from the outside?

Pics to follow later!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 AM

Well, after only 15 minutes of fiddling, I'm in!

A single wire coathanger with 15mm hook on the end is able to reach the key and hook into it, but isn't able to apply enough rotational force when pulled due to the orientation of the key when in the first position, and the 'angle of attack' from the window rubber.

The same coathanger was also able to positively engage with the e-window switches, but these are dead in position 1 it seems.

However, it also hooks nicely on to the 'lock' switch next to the door opening handle, and managed to unlock the car. Hopefully these are deadlocked when locked from the outside?

Pics to follow later!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by garyo,Feb 3 2011, 01:31 PM
Pics to follow later!
No need! I think we've already aired far too much information thanks.

Quick Reply: Keys locked in car