S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Koni Orange replacing OEM shocks (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/koni-orange-replacing-oem-shocks-1187013/)

hex90 08-02-2018 01:20 AM

Koni Orange replacing OEM shocks

Hi all,

My car unfortunately has suffered an MOT failure as one of it's rear shocks is leaking.
I read the various posts on here about replacing it with the Koni Orange (STR.T) as I want as similar a setup to the OEM as possible and these seem to be recommended.
I took the shocks with the car to my garage who attempted to fit but advised the spring perch is welded onto the shock. Other posts here seem to say either they are welded or not..

My '05 shocks are definitely welded so what are my options? Would cutting the weld with an angle grinder be advisable (or not)?
Are there any other options like thinner springs to fit on the spring perch for the Koni's?
Any other suggestions I'm missing?

nomadicS2k 08-02-2018 03:53 AM

It's not 100% clear what the issue is - I think you are trying to use OEM springs on the Koni's? Might be worth getting new springs?
Have you called Koni direct? Or speak to Europerformance and get some proper product advice.

hex90 08-02-2018 04:12 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I meant I wanted to use the OEM springs on the Koni's. The OEM shocks seem impossible to get ahold of so I was after a drop in replacement.

noodels 08-02-2018 04:30 AM

The ring is welded to the damper the spring perch is not <2 parts here>try a chisel in between the 2 parts to separate perch from ring

sZooo5 08-02-2018 09:15 AM

I have just found out I have the same problem after a health check down at redhill honda.

Was thinking of changing the offending shock as it's just the passenger side that has the leak but have been advised to change both sides due to age and mileage etc.

just got a quote from honda for both rear shocks and nearly fell over....£715.46 all-in.

Can anyone give me a better/cheaper option for changing these please.

Any suggestions or help much appreciated.

Thanks.

nomadicS2k 08-03-2018 12:23 AM

At nearly 15 years old - the shocks have lasted well - OEM is OEM and insurance friendly, but for the cost of OEM(x4) you can get a complete set of Bilstein PSS9.

For £700 you could get a full set of Meister R / Koni Yellow with Eibach springs / BC Racing coilovers, lots of people run these here. I am running HSD Monopros, very happy with those. The difference is night and day and the car will be transformed!

But you will need to declare it to your insurance.

twibs 08-03-2018 03:30 PM

Tap the oem perch off with a rubber mallet.The koni oranges drive like standard.

hex90 08-07-2018 11:31 PM

I tried with my garage again and they can't get the perches off still.. the age has stuck them on rather well!!
I may have to go down the £700 full setup route and look for a new vehicle insurer!

noodels 08-07-2018 11:52 PM

Or another garage :D

hex90 08-13-2018 04:44 AM

Thanks noodels, I took it to another garage and they didn't have any problem at all getting the spring perches off! :scratch:
The car seems to be driving the same as it was before (no surprise)