S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   LED Replacements (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/led-replacements-1194111/)

Stoatmaster 05-13-2019 08:12 AM

LED Replacements

As the car is getting g repainted, I'm refreshing a few bits around the car and would like to replace most of the running lights with LEDs.

Searched some previous threads, but there are a lot of dead links so putting out a request for any recommendations.

Seen a few that may well fit the bill, but many are listed as CANBUS and attract a corresponding price. Providing there is no hyper flashing surely normal units will do the job? (Assume most amber LEDs would have the required resistors to prevent this)

Thanks!

JS2k.com 05-13-2019 02:21 PM

Hiya,
Shameless plug time! I've been manufacturing and selling LEDs for S2000s since 2010, focusing on only quality LEDs. There are a lot of LEDs you can buy out there, and a good amount of them are terribly made cheap Chinese stuff. We have reasonable prices and good quality. :)

You will not need CANBUS LEDs, as the S2000 does not monitor the lights.

Hyperflashing will occur when you change your Turn Signal lights to LEDs. This can be remedied with a hyperblink fixer harness that we sell. There is also a cheaper version where you use T-Taps to splice the wires.

I don't recommend Turn Signal LEDs that don't require external resistors. The built in CANBUS Turn Signal LEDs are either dim or not reliable. This is because in order to fool the car to think that your lights aren't out, that current needs to come from somewhere. Resistors simulate that, and give off heat. Heat is the #2 enemy of LEDs. So if that is built in, you're building even more heat on top of the heat from the LEDs. Consequently, if they're bright, then they're not reliable because of too much heat. If they're reliable, then they won't be bright.

You can find LEDs for all S2000 applications here: JS2K.com!

Bubbels** 05-14-2019 03:41 AM

I've bought the Supernova LED's from JS2K and very happy with them.
Also bought and modified a relay to fix the hyperblink as I didn't want to splice the wires, works like a charm :)

Chuck S 05-14-2019 05:36 AM

A relay in the flasher slot will cure any hyperflash on our cars. As noted the lighting is not controlled by any of the car's computers (CANBUS). Not so in many (most?) modern cars. I know I can cure hyperflash, turn the OE LED fog lights into DRLs, and a dozen other things in my Fords by altering a line or two of code in the one of the modules in the car via the OBD2 port and a PC.

Peripheral lighting with LEDs is pretty simple once the right bulbs are found. I got some from JS2k and just popped them in. Any bulbs in the headlights require too much disassembly though so they're still in their boxes. I put some extra bright bulbs in the backup lights on my cars which help in my dark driveway.

LEDs in the actual headlights are getting better. Filament placement in these is critical in the reflectors to project the light properly. Just brighter is not better if the beam is scattered and too-white actually has less usable light than the OE light color.

-- Chuck

martin j 05-14-2019 10:04 AM

I'm sure I've seen digital? flasher units for leds, they may be a motorbike application but 12 v is 12v, might be an easy fix?

JS2k.com 05-14-2019 11:51 AM

Yes, the relay flasher replacement for S2000s is the EP34. I don't actually sell them. Beware though, that most of these are not the correct size to fit inside the interior fuse box of the S2000. You will have to run extension wires from the spades from the relay to the female receptor inside the fuse box.

Stealth2Kraymer 06-13-2020 05:48 AM

Hey Chuck, I have changed the stock tail lights to the LED bulbs and the Hyper flashing is occurring. You mention a relay needs to be purchased, do I need to purchase 2 of them as I am looking at the owners manual and in the 'Under-Bonnet fuse boxes (Main Fuse Box) it has Lighting Relay 1 & 2. Do they both need to be replaced?

Thanks for your assistance, the S2K Guru from across the pond!!

Stealth2Kraymer 06-13-2020 05:53 AM

Sorry Chuck, I forgot to ask is the relay and EP34 as mentioned in the posts please?

AHW1NG 06-15-2020 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth2Kraymer (Post 24739772)
Hey Chuck, I have changed the stock tail lights to the LED bulbs and the Hyper flashing is occurring. You mention a relay needs to be purchased, do I need to purchase 2 of them as I am looking at the owners manual and in the 'Under-Bonnet fuse boxes (Main Fuse Box) it has Lighting Relay 1 & 2. Do they both need to be replaced?

Thanks for your assistance, the S2K Guru from across the pond!!

You will need a relay for each bulb that is hyper flashing though this should only be needed for indicators and not the stop/tail/reverse lights from my own experience. You can get them off of ebay in either soldering form or a plug and play style. I would go with the plug and play as it's just easier.

Stealth2Kraymer 06-17-2020 09:42 AM

This is what I don't understand as the fuse box already has the relays for lighting 1 & 2, so what is the difference if I buy another relay online? Do they need to read a different voltage as they are standard 12v right?