UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

letter to Autocar will they print

Old 06-15-2002, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default letter to Autocar will they print

Just sent this to Autocar, whats the bet they do not print?

There is some thing not right and it is confusing me, every week you print that the Honda S2000 is not the car it should be which is toned down from the biggest disappointment you have had. Lets be frank some of your writers dislike this car with a vengeance it gets the odd slag off in reports of cars that have nothing to do with it. This is all very subjective and each to his own, if we all liked the same it would be a drab world.
Now for the bit that confuses me, firstly you like to compare with the Boxster not mentioning that the thick end of 16 grand is addition to the Boxster
Old 06-15-2002, 01:43 AM

Graham

Excellent, it's about time that they opened there eyes and stopped repeating the same old B*** SH**: after all, us owners and the other car magazines cannot all be wrong!

I hope they do publish your comments, although I suspect that you are not the first to write such a letter, so I would not hold your breath waiting to see it in print
Some people just will not listen to anything apart from biased views which support their own narrow-minded unsubstantiated opinions!

Chris
Old 06-15-2002, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully the editor is worth his salt and recognises there is always another side to any story,.

there are very few really good journo's around, and with all the increased published matter on the planet - there are a lot of very average or barely acceptable ones who simply either don't know their job or just rip-off what others have already said.

So S2000 has bad handling, Cooper S is better than sliced bread and so on and it becomes the journo mantra for ever more on that car.

I used to enjoy reading stuff written by a guy called Peter Dron - not sure if he is still around or who he writes for, but I have given up with car mags as they are mostly just too glib.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:23 AM

Nice work Graham!!!

I think that most of these negative mags just can't take the fact that the S is such a marvel of technology (mainly under the hood!!!).

Matt
Old 06-15-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's perfectly possible to write a review of a car without having driven it (just by plagiarising other reviews and press releases). Lazy theatre and fim critics do it, so why not motoring writers?
Old 06-15-2002, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kobe
[B]I used to enjoy reading stuff written by a guy called Peter Dron - not sure if he is still around or who he writes for,
Old 06-15-2002, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter Dron is also a regular contributor to the Saturday Telegraph motoring section. Good writer.

Talking of good motoring journo's (not quite an oximoron!) - I was shocked to hear that Russel Bulgin dies of cancer recently
Old 06-15-2002, 07:23 AM

I know i have said this before and i know some of you agree while some do not but...

I blame a lot of the 'tricky' handling comments on the tyres - SO2's. They may be good when hot but they still give very little feedback to the driver even then.

The recent tyre review in EVO confirmed this thought with some well experienced people on this matter saying exactly the same.

It also dawned on me yesterday that Honda ALWAYS (as far as i could see on the cars on the forecourt) ships with Bridgstones. I can only conclude that the SO2 is the best on offer from Bridgstone but is sure as hell isnt the best per se.

If Honda want better S2000 reviews then they should shop a bit further from home for tyres.

If i bought a new S tomorrow i would have the SO2's changed to F1's before i even took delivery and i would sell the new SO2's to whoever wanted them on this board and as there are a few fans i dont think they would be in my shed for too long.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:14 PM

Nice one, Graham !!
I vaguely know a motoring journalist (also called Dan). Don't want to say too much but at least some of the eventual write up can be influenced by the quality and number of "perks" they get from the manufacturers at review time.
I wonder if Porsche just provide them better "perks" ?
Old 06-15-2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by composite guru
Nice work Graham!!!

I think that most of these negative mags just can't take the fact that the S is such a marvel of technology (mainly under the hood!!!).

Matt
Very true, but unfortunately the margins are so close to the tolerances with which Honda are able to build it, that invariably only a few examples are perfect.

Quick Reply: letter to Autocar will they print