UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Light Changing Mayhem!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Changing Mayhem!

Well high in confidence I decided I would fit my newly purchased LED number plate lights and LED side lights in the car park at work on my dinner, which I thought would be a nice cheap and easy mod to keep me happy.

On fitting the number plate lights I noticed I am missing a lense cover on one side, luckily managed to ebay one (1 result!) and added £7 with p+p to my bill. Bulbs easy to fit tho Just hoping the lense cover arrives before it rains and breaks the LED bulb.

Next the side lights, what could be easier than fitting a sidelight!? Well a lot of things apparently! After realising it wasnt as expected I googled for info... Most of you will already know by now.. You have to turn the wheel to full lock, undo a/some clip(s) to pull at your arch lining, then try get a hand in the gap to change the bulb.

Clip 1, snap. Hand still wont go in.. Clip 2, snap.. Hand still wont go in... I decided rather than continuing my mission of snapping every clip on the car for my hand to still not go in, I would give it up as a bad job so I can at least get home without the arch lining falling off! Another trip to ebay for replacement clips and £4. The replacements have got posidrive heads on them so I think I might know why I was snapping the others

So now over budget and still unfinished, has anyone got any tips before I attempt this again? I think Im gonna have a go over the weekend at unscrewing the remaining clips to get the job done and then replace the broken clips when they arrive.. But what else is likely to wrong??
Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Screw in clips on the front arch liners? Mine are all pop in ones or at least I think they are/ were?! It's not a nice space to work in and is easier on a warmer day as the plastic is more flexible - the more clips you remove, the easier it is to get your hand in.

Leave the sidelights turned on when you go to fit the new LEDS - they are polarity sensitive and once you have them the right way around, you can use the light to guide you to refit them into their holes.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 AM

I dont remember seeing the posi heads when I was outside, so maybe they werent. There was two parts to each clip tho, maybe I just need to pull the middle part out first..

Here are the ones I just ordered on ebay, which I why I thought they were screw tops:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-wheel-ar...item41536f31ea
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

No - IIRC it is a two piece clip, large round base with a lip and then a smaller drawing pin shaped bit fits inside that - gently prise that centre piece out and then the other bit just comes out. There are two entry cutouts on the edge of each clip to give you a place to poke at to get the centre pin to lift. That said, cold old plastic is fairly brittle.

270719480466 item no.

I can't recall the exact size but that's what the clips look like
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Where do you live mate? I've got a shedload if your local to essex?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
No - IIRC it is a two piece clip, large round base with a lip and then a smaller drawing pin shaped bit fits inside that - gently prise that centre piece out and then the other bit just comes out. There are two entry cutouts on the edge of each clip to give you a place to poke at to get the centre pin to lift. That said, cold old plastic is fairly brittle.

270719480466 item no.

I can't recall the exact size but that's what the clips look like
Cheers I'll have a bash with the others over the weekend. Hopefully those ebay ones will do the trick for the 2 I broke

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Where do you live mate? I've got a shedload if your local to essex?
Thanks, im in west yorkshire tho
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got clips off ebay, they are much more flexable than the honda ones so i've replaced the lot
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM

And make sure you don't drop the old bulb into the headlight housing! Pain in the arse trying to retrieve!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM

I too have some sidelights here waiting to be fitted, but I really dont fancy the job! It sounds an absolute pig. One of those jobs that once you have started, you have to finish as well!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Madfish
And make sure you don't drop the old bulb into the headlight housing! Pain in the arse trying to retrieve!
I dropped a new lamp out of the holder into the light, I removed the interior of a felt pen and used the casing to remove silly led, next time I ensured that it was a tight correct fit in the holder.

Quick Reply: Light Changing Mayhem!