UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Londoners - Are you still driving in? And paying the Congestion Tax?

Old 02-19-2003, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Londoners - Are you still driving in? And paying the Congestion Tax?

Been away from the board for a while and I noticed not much posted about Ken's Congestion Tax.
I've been driving into work (Moorgate/Bank area) for about 2 years and I don't plan to stop now.
I refuse to use public transport when it's in such a dismal state. The choice of being crammed into a tube with my face in someones armpit or driving in with my own space, my own music and my wife for company - not much of a decision for me. There's many better ways of reducing the traffic in London, but drivers are being shafted as usual.
Anyone else being raped by Ken on this?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:20 AM

I see old Ken cd be facing a shortfall

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-...-583189,00.html

But early days yet.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:27 AM

Could always buy a bike. Suzuki recently had an advertising campaign which was projected onto the houses of parliament, it simple said 'Theres no C in Suzuki'!!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I am - my dad's getting some special allowance cos of his orange badge (makes him sound like a cripple LOL but hes fine) and he can have 2 cars registered on it - mine will be one of them for all those times I take him around Harrods when he visits from North Wales
Old 02-19-2003, 04:44 AM

Isn't a bike a bit dodgy from a saftety point of view in London traffic, though ?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:46 AM

I work at Bank and usually cycle in from east London as it is quicker and more comfortable than the tube (yes the Mile End Road is actually preferable than a sweaty carraige on the central line).

On the first day of the charge the traffic was great but today it was exactly the same as is used to be (despite it being half term).

...not yet convinced by the scheme, and I can't believe they introduced it when neither the central line or waterloo & city are working.

hmmmm....
Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BabyNSX
[B]Been away from the board for a while and I noticed not much posted about Ken's Congestion Tax.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by W6DAN
Isn't a bike a bit dodgy from a saftety point of view in London traffic, though ?
Of course not! I have only been knocked of twice and had only one bike written off (....so far).

Now that the city centre is less congested I should have less chance of getting knocked off again. I like Ken .
Old 02-19-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Isabelle

Are you the silverstone metallic that parks outside the M&S at between Liverpool St and Moorgate by that square?
No, but I've seen that one regularly. I sold my S2000 last year, it was a Black/Red one V971 ELB. Usually parked near the square when I had it. I now drive my wife's 4x4 tank into work until my Z4 arrives.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:20 AM

The car park I use is outside of the congestion zone (just), I haven't driven in this week so don't know whether it is now the most poplular car park in the world now...

The tube is easily one of the worst places in the world I can imagine to be. I have thought about getting a scooter, don't think I would last long on one....

Traffic is terrible when I drive in and out but not as bad as catching the flu and other horrible things on the tube ; )

Quick Reply: Londoners - Are you still driving in? And paying the Congestion Tax?