UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

a long shot

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a long shot

if i write to honda customer services (uk), is there even a hope in hell that i'll get some money off my problem?

basically, i've got a worn lobe on my cam, just 1 lobe and dont think it has anything todo with oil supply. i'd far rather say a faulty cam from factory. naturally i'd supply them with the worn cam once i get it off, or even pictures if they'd consider it.
car is a 2000 reg, JDM but came straight into the UK without even been driven by a jap. and i've just parted with
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Nothing ventured...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 AM

ok, 1st draft letter...

[QUOTE]I have recently bought a Honda S2000 in a private sale. It is the Japanese import model, but came straight into the UK for it's first registration and was not used in Japan. It is a 2000 model year.

I have been having problems with this car with hesitation and the engine light coming on and reporting a misfire on cylinder one, as was reported by a EOBD code reader. Further investigation has shown that the inlet camshaft has a substantially worn lobe and thus causing damage to the cam follower. This is on the VTEC stage 1 lobe (third lobe back). Since this appears to be a manufacturing defect, rather than lack of maintenance, I am writing this letter to you.

This is now my third Honda I have owned, and my previous two cars have been upto Honda's legendary reliability which is why I have chosen to go with you again for this third car. However, having such issues on a 64,000 mile flagship model of yours I do find worrying.

What I enquire about is this: I currently have on back order, from your Coventry dealership is the inlet camshaft, cam follower, and a few other precautionary parts for when I do remove the camshaft. This sum of parts has exceeded
Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should be able to pick up the parts off somoene on here that has had a failed engine for a fraction of that price.

I don't think you will get anywhere with Honda UK with that letter.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM

to late to ask around now (been 4-5days since i posted about a knackered cam and no-one has come forward to offer parts. to be honest, i wouldnt want 'charity' or any special offers being done - still new here. maybe in future though.
parts are on order from honda anyway...

letter - like i say, im one of those guys thats shoots from the hip, and i've not been to good with letter writing!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good letter or not, it's a Japanese region model. On the face of it, Honda UK have no legal responsibility to help you.

Aside from all the other issues involved in this, the European protection a parallel import would have offered you is negated and as such, I do not think they (Honda) will bother to even respond, never mind help; unless the manufacturer at time of sale, clearly stated that a worldwide warranty was in place for this vehicle type. Which I doubt.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM

They probably haven't even received it yet with the postal strike, but I agree that Honda UK have no reason to give you anything on a JDM import car.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say not a chance.

A more specific thread title might get a few more replies too!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two hopes, and one of them is Bob....
Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 AM

It's a polite letter and it can't hurt to post it. I suspect it depends who reads it as to how lucky you get.

I am sure the technical bods at Honda would not mind getting hold of the old cam. Could be mileage in that for you.

Quick Reply: a long shot