UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Modirfy Shift Beep Fitting

Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modirfy Shift Beep Fitting

Can anyone tell me which wire the tacho signal connection connects to on the ECU?

The UK instructions on the Modifry website bear no resemblance to the colour or layout of wires on my car
Old 08-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at this thread to see if it helps https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...hd-s2k-258426/
Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Can anyone tell me which wire the tacho signal connection connects to on the ECU?

The UK instructions on the Modifry website bear no resemblance to the colour or layout of wires on my car
Start again. Disconnect all the wires, lay them across the right palm, then lay the shift beeper on top of them. Now clench your fist slightly, bring your arm back over your shoulder and launch the damn thing over the garden fence! You don't need a shift beeper on public roads....

And change you signature from Moonrock to Trotter Yellow

Last edited by kw_21; 08-16-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by kw_21
Start again. Disconnect all the wires, lay them across the right palm, then lay the shift beeper on top of them. Now clench your fist slightly, bring your arm back over your shoulder and launch the damn thing over the garden fence! You don't need a shift beeper on public roads....

And change you signature from Moonrock to Trotter Yellow
For some unfathomable reason I seem to be drawn to unnecessary things that make irritating noises
Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just fitted one of these units to my MY06 (DBW) I thought it might be useful to record the problems I encountered and the solutions.

The first difficulty was getting a decent electrical connection using T-taps. In the end I got the trusty soldering iron out and fitted bullet connectors - that resolved that problem.

It took some time to work out which cable to the ECM to connect to for the rev counter pulse, as this is quite different to the pre-DBW models. Ultimately I realised that the Modifry fitting instructions for CR models refers to a connection to the ECM, and when I checked my car, the cable layout was very similar. So the cable required is the blue one in the top connector (connector E) into the ECM, and is as shown in Modifry's photo of the cables for the CR.

I have attached the Redline unit and bleeper to the outside of the driver's footwell, tucked up out of sight behind the dash. The earth connection and the ignition switched feed has been taken from the black and yellow cables respectively that attach to the unit (I'm not sure what it is) tucked up just behind the dash on the far right hand side.

As others have said the bleeper is very loud, and I may put a piece of tape over it, but it works very well, and it does mean that you can forget about checking the rev counter as you near the limit, and keep your eyes on the road (or track).

Does this help?

Mike
Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice one!

If you use proper OEM-style crimp connectors, you don't actually need a soldering iron. Some people maintain that modern lead-free solder is a bit too brittle for use in a vibratory environment. I've not had a problem (yet) where I've solder-spliced into an existing wire, though.

If you want to fit a beeper, why not? There is one in the 86 and it's quite handy. Might save a few rods exiting block right...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
For some unfathomable reason I seem to be drawn to unnecessary things that make irritating noises
I've got one of those, one day I'll divorce her.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
I've got one of those, one day I'll divorce her.
She'll get in first if she knows what's good for her
Old 08-17-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

As per my comment in the linked thread I consider this device nearly essential if the car is supercharged or has a Gernby tune. Revs climb so fast in my car (now) that I'm always bumping the rev limiter without it. Eyes out the windshield, not on the dash. Beep-beep-beep -- Shift. (In first and second it's Ring - Shift!)

-- Chuck
Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
As per my comment in the linked thread I consider this device nearly essential if the car is supercharged or has a Gernby tune. Revs climb so fast in my car (now) that I'm always bumping the rev limiter without it. Eyes out the windshield, not on the dash. Beep-beep-beep -- Shift. (In first and second it's Ring - Shift!)

-- Chuck
Good point this. I actually have obscured my rev counter with the steering wheel/boss combo which is annoying so have been listening to the engine for changes and at times get it wrong. I think I want a led rather than a beeper though as I still like hearing the engine note.