UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Looking into aftermarket clutch

Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking into aftermarket clutch

I've noticed for a short while that my clutch has gained itself a slight judder ONLY when pulling away from a standstill in first gear. You can feel it through the peddle mostly, but also slightly throughout the rest of the car, ie the seats, floor etc.
I also notice the smell of burning brakes/clutch at times. At first i assumed it was from my brakes (dixcell discs and pads all round) but have realised it smells even after driving slow and cautious wihout braking hard at all, so am now thinking it is also to do with the clutch.
I've read somewhere that the judder could be a sign of the clutch going, does anyone have any experience or can confirm this?
My car has only done 30,000 miles but has been supercharged for less than 1,000 miles at around 380-390bhp.
I've been expecting to upgrade my clutch at some point anyway, i could really do with some advice on a replacement though. I dont really have much knowledge on the subject and am not sure what parts would need or be worth replacing.
Ive never dropped the clutch or been aggresive with the gear change as the cdv kicks in so easily now its supercharged.
Any ideas on what the judder could be would be helpful?
Suggestions on replacement clutch?
And any other parts ie, bearings, flywheel etc??

And for anyone that remembers and helped me out previously, thanks! I managed to get the oil leak all sorted, it was from a bolt pearcing the timing chain cover after all, i got a new part from the states and replaced it myself, along wih a new baffled sump whilst i had it off.

Jay.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am loving my completion clutch stage 2. Done 700 miles and it can take some good abuse!!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Competition clutch? Is that the brand name??
Ive heard of people using the act with some of the oem components?
And anyone have any ideas on what is actually causing the judder whilst pulling away?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

I had an act street clutch and flywheel when I was s/c,and thought it was great,not much heavier than standard.but then I went turbo and after a standing start,it started juddering like mad when pulling away from a standstill,after inspection the clutch had worn down to rivets,and the flywheel had some nasty heat spots on it.im now using a act paddle clutch with a new act flywheel,and it's ok,but does judder a little(which is normal behaviour for a paddle clutch)if it was my everyday car it would do my head in after a while.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My SOS one judders every here and there whilst pulling away slowly in 1st gear and has done this since new. Mine has covered less than 8,000 miles and is fine once moving & holds the power no problem.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Is that a paddle clutch?i always thought your normal type of clutch didn't judder?the only time I have ever felt it is with paddle clutches and when my clutch was on its last legs(it used to pong aswell)
Suppose if it's lasted 8000 miles it must be ok,mine didn't even last half that :-(
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a paddle clutch mate. I think it's down to me not replacing the flywheel when we swapped the clutch but having said that you would have thought it would have sorted itself by now.

Who knows, the main thing is it works
Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Oem flywheel, disc, release bearing with the act pressure plate here. Feel is great, marginally heavier than stock. Holding my 415bhp supercharged no problem at the moment. I've only done circa 400 miles on it but judder or any other issues so far.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Been looking into the act pressure plate with oem disc, seems to be the only one without any clutch buzz etc.
Where can i source one in the uk at a good price? Everywhere i look its for a complete clutch or from the states
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Got a competition stage 4 sprung clutch with ultra lightweight flywheel sitting here waiting for some space in my garage to be created before I fit it with my s/c happy days

Quick Reply: Looking into aftermarket clutch