UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Looking for some advice

Old 04-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for some advice

Hi Guys, I've just joined the forum a little while ago. I am in the market for an S2000 and i would like some advice on 2 potential cars i am looking at. The first one is a high mileage car and the second one is a low mileage one. My budget is around 13k and i want to spend much as i need to get a good relaible car, there is a part me that thinks that the low milage will be more reliable and less problematic, there's also a part of me thinks that the high milage car would be a good option as well (its had a respray and a low end rebuild)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-s20...kAAOSwBZ5cl4Mn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-55-H...7d35%7Ciid%3A1

any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks again guys
Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 AM
UK Moderator

Received 90 Likes on 87 Posts

Get the new one but check both for rust, which is the biggest problem on these cars IMO.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
Get the new one but check both for rust, which is the biggest problem on these cars IMO.
Thank you for the reply, I'll be viewing it this weekend

When you say rust, are you referring to the rust underneath or stuff like siezed bolts due to rust.

Do you think the new one with the 22k milage is worth 13k ?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM
UK Moderator

Underneath, wheel arches and sills in particular. suspension bolts are also to be considered.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts

the engine is key. a replacement motor will cost you 4k plus.. you need something looked after. generally amazingly reliable but that engine warrants care.

avoid cars thrashed from cold, not looked after etc.

and as LG says, rust, specifically in the rear arches, can be terminal. seized bushes can be remedied but arches.. a proper job is big £ and still not perfect imho

everything else can be fixed cheaply..

check the boot floor!

good luck
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The “unmolested” low mile example would appear to have a front end re spray. The faux vents in the front bumper should be black. Whoever sprayed it didn’t take the time to cover them off. An easy spot. Worth asking the vendor to explain......and they are NOT meant to be colour coded!

Unmolested.........mmmmmm
Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_sam View Post
The “unmolested” low mile example would appear to have a front end re spray. The faux vents in the front bumper should be black. Whoever sprayed it didn’t take the time to cover them off. An easy spot. Worth asking the vendor to explain......and they are NOT meant to be colour coded!

He's right, there could be a perfectly good explanation for it though. The clarity of that explanation will tell you a lot about the seller as well. The panel/bonnet gaps aren't a great match either, but again, find out the real reason for it.

I would question the Bridgestone Turanza tyres it's wearing as well, they're not the OEM (or a recommended) tyre for this car so has the car been maintained or driven by someone who knows about the car...
Old 04-11-2019, 12:53 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Stevo071077 View Post
I would question the Bridgestone Turanza tyres it's wearing as well, they're not the OEM (or a recommended) tyre for this car so has the car been maintained or driven by someone who knows about the car...
The Turanza are commonly fit as they are what the Bridgestone website recommends these days. T005, ER300, T001Evo, S001 or A005.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_sam View Post

Are they always black?! Mine were certainly bodycolour (moonrock) before I cut them out
Old 04-11-2019, 03:18 AM

Thanks Guys for all your responses, Much appreciated

I am also looking at one of the cars from the For sale section in the forum

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands