UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Low speed hesitancy... does your S2K suffer

Old 09-18-2001, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed hesitancy... does your S2K suffer

I am interested to know whether any UK owners have low speed hesitancy problems with their S2000s.

I own a 99 V plate model which is currently at my local dealer having clutch number 5, gearbox number 3, new alloys and a hardtop fitted as well as a 18K service. My biggest issue with the car is its behaviour at low speeds, especially in traffic jams.

My car seems to suffer in that when I drive in 3rd at say 2000 rpm in traffic then accelerate gently the car hesitates then lurches forward with neck snapping on off acceleration. The only way to resolve this is to disengage the clutch, rev the **** out of the car then slip the clutch back in. This is a temporary fit at best and then it is back to make James look like a learner driver hopping all over again.

I expected the car to be very well behaved at lowish rpm, as the third cam does not come in until large revs, so why doesn
Old 09-18-2001, 02:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5 clutches, 3 gearboxes and jerkiness? I would go back to driving Auto's!!!

Nope, 99V, occasional jerkiness in first gear (once a month? or less) after a thrashing of its life then come to say a halt before moving off very slowly in traffic / at a roundabout.
Maybe not even that often, cause reckoned to be electronics getting the S back to ULEV after the run?
Old 09-18-2001, 03:02 AM

My car does suffer from this but mainly in stop start traffic not when simply going along at low revs. I recently changed petrol to Shell Optimax and the car seems a lot happier but still not perfect in queues. I also notice its only when I've been queing for a while say about 10 mins
Old 09-18-2001, 03:10 AM

I have experienced this problem from day one whilst driving back from the dealer. It seems to be worse when sitting in traffic after a quick run. For example, on motorway slip roads.

At my first service I asked the dealer to fix the problem but they could find nothing wrong. The problem seems to be getting worse. Currently at 9500 miles.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:45 AM

If you do a search on 'bucking' you will find several threads discussing the phenomenon which I think you are describing.
Don't think they come up with a grade A platinum plated fix tho'
Old 09-18-2001, 01:14 PM

Yes, I have had similar in damp conditions. It seems that petrol does make a difference, but probably not to the extent that you describe. I don't use regular unleaded, because I do not like the sluggish performance.

Apparantly, there is a known problem with the wiring harness for one of the engine sensors. The engine moves quite a lot under acceleration, which can cause an intermittent signal from the sensor. This causes the ECU to compensate. I've got a temporay fix of sealant round the connector, but I need to book it in for the harness to be replaced. I think that a lot of people have sensors replaced, but this is may not be the actual problem.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had this when my car (99 V) was new. I liken it to bunny hopping - rather violent lurching then nothing then lurching then nothing. Neck snapping yes!
Had this twice when new. Both times engine was cold. (Running premium unleaded at the time)
Also have had the odd minor occurance of this in traffic but never as severe as when it was new.
Since about 500 miles I have run the car on Super Unleaded with only a couple of times (petrol crisis was one) when I could not get Super.
I certainly do not recall having the problem when running on super. Do you frequently mix super and premium or just stick with one?

The whole bunny hopping thing is made worse by the fact that the throttle is very sensitive and your foot can't help tickling it as the bunny hopping happens.
So next time you get it - jam your foot against the carpet at the side and try and hold the throttle open a small amount and see if the car settles.
This helps the car stay smooth on uneven surfaces but it sounds like the engine management unit is getting duff feedback as dynamic loads are causing instability. I suspect the sensor and or wiring back to the ECU.
A long letter to Honda should be your next step as what your car has endured is absolutely unacceptable.
My car is August 99 and has only had the dealer fit the seatbelt mod. It has done several track days and just seems to get better. Even the slight clutch rattle it had has gone away by itself and hopefully the bunny hopping has too. But now I've said that.................

Best of luck.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once in a blue moon I get the slightest stutter, usually after a good old thrash! Other than than that, and at just under 9k miles, the car gets more of a joy to drive every day....quicker and more responsive. No rattles either. Looking forward to the next 9k.
Old 09-20-2001, 04:13 AM

Mmmm,

3rd at 2000rpm....

i'd call that a problem, usually taking off the thing needs about 3-4k RPM, and when in 6th it is happily cruising along the freeway at ~4k rpm as well... ever thought about putting it in 2nd or 1st even? ?, the high revving nature of this car would suggest it needs more rev's, can someone calculate the speed in 3rd gear at 2000rpm....and the amount of torque the engine is produce at 2000rpm much be hell on your drivetrain,

I'm not saying this will fix you're problem, but it should at least help...
Old 09-20-2001, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't picked up on that. Aus2k could well have a point here. Have you tried hanging onto those low gears a little longer?

Quick Reply: Low speed hesitancy... does your S2K suffer