UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Lowered Car?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it does look slightly lowered but then again the angles of most of the images might be deceptive. The side shot is quite dark on my phone and so hard to tell.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you were clever you could call round at Rays at Daytona Autos in Congleton. If you contact him first he may be able to give it a look over. It's a 50 min drive from the dealership.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Car looks decent. You can also pick up a set of used shocks and springs pretty cheap if you wanted to go back to factory. Lots of us, myself included, have sets OEM shocks and springs sat in the garage which for a small fee would sell on.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to Ray who was very helpful but due to being a one man band couldn't leave his garage to look at it for me.
He did however point me in the direction of Andy at VTech Direct, who is going to ask someone he knows more local to the car to look at it for me.
Many thanks guys. Hopefully I will be an S2000 owner very soon!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM

for an 05 thats done 66k miles (not 63k), I'd be asking about paint....not easy to tell from those pictures but a distinct lack of stone chippage at the front.
Also the headlights look tinted maybe?
Is that meant to be Moonstone? looks darker/glossier

Other than that, it does look very clean, a good price and nice and original.
If it is lowered it will affect your insurnace, but after a geometry check which I'd recommend you do anyway, it'll handle really nicely.
Also worth asking about the roof condition, if it's original and if there are any marks, holes etc.
Have they got photos of the service history?

As has been said a 10hr round trip would be a ball ache if you haven't crossed off as much as possible prior to seeing it...

good luckl!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 AM

They're telling me it's mint and that he doesn't think it's been lowered (I'm sure it has though).

They sent a video walk around the car and in the engine bay. From the look of the top of the shock absorbers, they don't look standard to me. The engine sounds nice and quiet with no rattles though.

I've decided to go and see the car tomorrow.

Any idea how much a lowered car affects insurance over a standard one?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 AM

I guess the only way to know for sure if it's been lowered is to measure it. Does anyone know what the heights on the wheel arch to the ground should be?

I'll take a tape measure!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also note despite it being advertised with 63K miles - it's actually 65968 (based on the photo of the binnacle), so either it's being used or the dealer cant read ;-) ..

It's definitely been lowered - how I've no idea - and yes you would have to declare this to your insurers...

Looking at the photo of the wheel I'm not sure if the arches have been slightly rolled (the lip dissapears oddly half way up the arch).

But looks quite good - You need to get the geo checked and make sure the bolts are not siezed.

S.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks, all good info.

Can anyone help me out with the wheel arch height? I don't want to end up arguing with them about whether it's been lowered or not (also for the insurance).
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rear measurements from ground to arch are approx 665-675

good luck with the viewing . Check all door shuts , edges of all panels . This will tell you if it's had any ( bad ) paint work due to where they mask it .

Quick Reply: Lowered Car?