UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

M3, S2000, and bags of sand

Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3, S2000, and bags of sand

All right there forumites! I'm a bit of lurker, but read most days, anyway i have a problem....

I have been knocking about in an M3 for a wee while there. They really are very very fast (although this one has apparenly got near 370bhp ). So grippy and so easy to hang the back end out when you want to, and when giving it back it thought to myself... "next car ... oh yes"

But then i jumped in my S and wondered what was wrong with the clutch... and then the steering... then i realised i has become accustomed to the over assisted DBW M3. After just a few metres i knew i liked the direct involving s2000 more, despite the performance deficite!

Now this isn't just me saying that because i already have an S... i have worked rather hard over the last few months and the result is a extra few bags of sand that i can spend as i please. 'As i please' being an Exige S and a Clio 182 Throphy.... expect i have to move house too... Looks like need a few more months hard work for that pair!

So there i was after the M3, all excited about a new house and a flash motor, but to get back into my own car and not want to change! So then i thought, sod it get a Supercharger and and if its problematic, get the POS 206 my sister has aborted (yes i mean that in the medical sence) at my folks house.

And now i find out Comptech are no more, so thats that ruled out!

So then i thought... are NSX's really that much faster than the S2000? Are they more fun to drive? Could i afford one? hmmm... I think the realisticaly they would be too much money for too little performance (please correct me, as i haven't driven one)

For the first time in my life i have a decent lump of cash buring a hole in my pocket and can't think of a car i would rather have to spend it on!

(i did consider a new S, but what the point really? that would just be throwing money away! and please don't suggest changing just to get a different colour )

Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 AM

opps forgot to mention the rugby...

43 - 13

thats better....
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You are having to think about it when you could have an Exige S?

Go and have a quiet word with yourself man!

MB
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy Rice,Feb 27 2007, 08:46 PM
i have a decent lump of cash buring a hole in my pocket and can't think of a car i would rather have to spend it on!
Check out my sig for some ideas.

(I had the same dilema a couple of years back)

Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the S has the best bottomless pit potential of any car know to man - its currently the reason im holding back from getting one!

MB
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm only 6 months in and I'm really tempted in spending a wedge on the brakes.

EDIT : <locates spell check button>
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM

lol DBM, i can't really afford an Exige S, unless i don't move house and then i wouldn't have a garage... and then I couldn't really have an Exige S anyway!

As for modifing the car, I always worry that it would really be making it worse than it is now.

Can anyone comment on the NSX?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Noble M12 GTO3R, TVR Sagaris, Exige S, Nissan Skyline R34 GTR

This is my shortlist for next car, though I am likely to be skint for some time yet having just bought a property
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always give the spare cash to me

Theres a few people here who have NSX's, they are supposed to be awesome to drive.

Go drive one if you can find one and I'd also suggest doing a bit of research into mods if you like the S2000 that much, theres plenty of areas to improve it just costs mega money which you seem to have

Rick
Old 02-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Hi,

I owned an NSX for 18 months (a late 3.0L) and have had my S2K for only a few weeks.

I'm not really sure they're comparable. The S2K is a bike replacement, at it's best when being thrashed, but the NSX felt more like a fully fledged sports car. That's not to say that the NSX is better, and in many ways I prefer the s2k.

The NSX engine is a true work of genius and sounds (imho) 20x better than the s2k, although I am learning to appreciate the raw qualities of the s2k as well. If you can live with the fairly meagre output of a standard s2k then you'll live with the same deficit (compared to its peer group) in the NSX. If you found yourself wanting more in the s2k then the NSX is always going to be 100bhp down on where you want to be.

My NSX felt a little softer sprung than my s2k, and the whole car feels somewhat larger. The little s2k just feels so perfectly wrapped around me, nothing more than necessary.

When I came to buy the s2k I could pretty easily have afforded a reasonable NSX, but I could buy the s2k cash with no debt where I would've taken 50% of the cost of the NSX on a loan. No question for me, outright ownership is worth a good couple of seconds/lap on a track day!

There'll always be a place for a balls-tuned NSX in my imaginary stable, but the price difference in the UK really doesn't make sense when you consider what you can do in an s2k....

Hope this helps,

Ali

Quick Reply: M3, S2000, and bags of sand