UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014

Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014

Hi lovely people,

I am undertaking my first big Euro trip this year in the S along with a few friends and would love any hints/suggestions/recommendations anyone might have!

We're planning the trip from the 6th - 13th July, over 8 days covering just under under 3000miles and mixing it up with a little camping, hotels and B&B's.

The trip so far plans to go a little like this:

Day 1: Set off > Finish Bruges, Belgium

Day 2: Bruges > Stuttgart

Day 3: (Porsche Museum) Stuttgart > Stelvio Pass (nearby campsite etc)

Day 4: Stelvio Pass > Milan (Monza on route)

Day 5: Milan > Monaco

Day 6: Monaco > Matterhorn, Italy > GSB Pass, Switzerland (possibly camping)

Day 7: GSB Pass Area > Furka Pass > Rivaz, Lake Geneva > Geneva

Day 8: Geneva, Switzerland > Saint Omer, France, Just south of Calais (mostly motorway driving, give the cars a little breather)

Day 9: Crossing to back to the Homeland

Here's a very rough route from Calais > Monaco & Monaco > Calais

Not sure if these ^images^ will work

Please hit me with any suggestions you people may have- routes, POI's, things to look out for will be massively appreciated! It's my first big road trip so it's bound to be full of eventful amateur mishaps!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM

3000 miles is a lot to cover in 8 days, all you're going to be doing is driving and won't have any time to actually stop any where and enjoy it, plus on the long sections you will drive all day and be nackered in the evening. Last year I did 2k in 10 days and was about right for me, got to see and do plenty.

Apart from that enjoy and get lost, you all ways find the best spots when you're lost!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nick300zx
3000 miles is a lot to cover in 8 days, all you're going to be doing is driving and won't have any time to actually stop any where and enjoy it.
Start and finish in Brussels, thats two days you wont have much to miss, Tin Tin museum and the piss manakin thats it, don't get there late the whole country shuts at 8.00pm.

Or you could start in the Netherlands see the open air museum and do the drive on one of the big bridges (A7 or N302).
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 AM

Yea, I'd agree. That's a lot to fit in. Consider how long it can take to get up, have breakfast, check out of a hotel, find the Porsche museum, go around the Porsche museum, get on the road, stop for lunch and a wee, carry on driving, find a campsite, find a supermarket for dinner, pitch a tent....

I've organised a few of these and Busy days are fine, but I tend to make sure we're in the same place for a few days atleast. Maybe day trip the stelvio. That way you can sample the local beer/wine/spirits/food and not have to get up at 6am the next day to crack on.

Brugge is a good choice to start or end at. Awesome place to wander around and grab some food and some amazing beers!

You will also only have time to do the main routes between your destinations. Don't under estimate how much longer it can take on a twisty local road. It's considerable less direct and even if your hammering it, you can end up with twice the distance to cover - so you end up doing 80mph on the straight and direct motorway. Allow some time to mix it up. We do this sometimes on the way back from Le Mans, and it's surprisingly easy to leave the motorway, drive for 2hrs, and RE join the motorway 50miles down having terrorised some French back roads - no good if your on a seriously tight schedule.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 AM

Cheers for the feedback guys! It's massively appreciated!

I can see the general consensus is that it's a tight schedule! Although it is a driving holiday it would still be nice to take in the local culture. I have a couple to play with either side so I may extend it a couple of days.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Porsche Museum is worth the drive to Stuttgart? That is pretty much the only reason we are driving East from Brugge. I am very tempted to head South an direct into Switzerland. Stuttgart may be a weekend away with the GF instead so I'm not that fussed.

With regards to Switzerland - are there many campsites that you can just rock up to, or are they few and far between? If so I can will start pre-booking sites before we head out!

The Netherlands sounds tempting! I'm just worried that adding miles will only make it worse!

How do you guys find sourcing the Super over there? or the equilvilant 97+ Ron? I'm thinking of taking a supply of octane booster.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Porsche museum is very good, I've been a few times now, and if you like the brand, you'll enjoy it there!

Budget 2-3 hours for a good look round, and the restaurant is pretty decent too.

It'll take you longer than you think to get in and out of the Zentrum as well, so it would really need to be treated as 2 thirds of that day on a normal time schedule, i.e if you're not planning on driving into the night.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM

I think it best to stop more frequently, far more enjoyable I did a 860k stint to the Italian border a few years back , never again.
Prepare yourself for the heat from the gearbox The noise will get to you if you run long and hard with an after market exhaust for to long, making fuel stops seem a joy apart from the inevitable fuel bills
Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a pleasure drive I wouldn't be looking at more than about 4hrs a day of driving if you actually want to see and do stuff.

We head to the south coast of France every year and do almost a thousand miles in 2 days in each direction. It's enjoyable and knackering but only because we know we have a week of doing f@#k all at the end of it. We always aim to get back on a Friday night so we have the weekend to recover.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM

I suspect you've got the message on distance now but just to add more! My wife and I took an MGB to Sienna a few years ago over 2 weeks and it was too far, we ended up with too many hours on the motorway systems. Tunnel Rheims Chambery Nice Sienna Como Thonon Dijon Laon Tunnel. I also visit the Alps each year as part of a motorbike group. See our website for route ideas and distances at www.mountain-rats.co.uk Those routes include all day riding at a high average mph.

If you're in the Black Forest I would definitely drive the B500. Also Andermatt is a great base for all the big Alpine passes; Grimsel, Furka, Susten, Oberalp. All fantastic by S2000 or motorbike!

Enjoy
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Porsche museum is very good, I've been a few times now, and if you like the brand, you'll enjoy it there!

Budget 2-3 hours for a good look round, and the restaurant is pretty decent too.

It'll take you longer than you think to get in and out of the Zentrum as well, so it would really need to be treated as 2 thirds of that day on a normal time schedule, i.e if you're not planning on driving into the night.

I'm a big fan of the brand, especially its heritage and a friend whos coming along is a huge Porsche geek so it looks like winner.

Thanks for the tip, looks like a few days in the area may be worth while then!

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014