UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Maiden Voyage - Euro Trip 2014

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Higher octane is available (more like the main option once you get to the mountains). From memory, carrying fuel in jerry cans is illegal in some European countries (as well as a waste of much needed boot space).
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put these notes together for the original Euromeet in 2009, so read them with care!

However, the basic comments still apply some five years later, so, if you have never driven abroad before, it is worth reading through them:

What You Need to Know, What You Need to Do, When Driving Abroad.

I am sure other members will update information which has changed in the intervening period!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by curren1963
Furkapass/Nufenenpass/Grimselpass (chased a couple of GT86's up this one but sorry to say I couldn't keep up; started to lose my nerve when a little high speed drifting around the hairpins was called for).

Also the drive from Thusis to Silvaplana/St.Moritz was beautiful as was the drive down through the Maloja Pass
Thanks thats sounds fantastic! I will definitely be checking this out! Sounds like just what we're after, minus the high speed drift! Don't fancy seeing the cabins of any tow trucks on this trip!

Originally Posted by soupdragon
Higher octane is available (more like the main option once you get to the mountains). From memory, carrying fuel in jerry cans is illegal in some European countries (as well as a waste of much needed boot space).
Now I get all the attention toward that quote! Thanks very much, that law had completely evaded me! Good to know that Super is pretty easy to source, and yes boot space is invaluable when planning to camp!

Originally Posted by dennohue
I put these notes together for the original Euromeet in 2009, so read them with care!

What You Need to Know, What You Need to Do, When Driving Abroad.

I am sure other members will update information which has changed in the intervening period!
Thanks Dennohue! I will definitely be giving that thread the twice over.

Again, thanks for all the input. Forums and online communities are what make it such an enjoyable to own. And that VTEC!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdragon
Never had a problem obtaining higher octane fuel in many years of traveling on the continent. However few petrol stations are open on Sundays except on the autoroute. Don't take a petrol can, you will need the space in the boot. I also think it is illegal in some countries.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Hi, I was in a similar position less than 12 months ago, planning my first Euro road trip. I received some fantastic advice in this thread:
www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1029834-kit-required-when-driving-in-france/

Photos/video from the resulting trip can be seen here:
www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/753216-ch3tmans-rio-yellow-pearl-s2000/page__st__125

It was an amazing experience and I'm sure you'll have a great time!