UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Main Beam Bulb Replacement

Old 12-12-2001, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main Beam Bulb Replacement

I know some of you are thinking about doing this soon. I was in the Chat Room last night practising for the 17th Dec. Utah s2k has done a walk through install for this job. He's a definite 'techy' type being an aerospace engineer!, but he says the job was a sod but easy once you know how! I did ask him to post a link to his install in the UK Forum. He may have forgotten. If he doesn't post anyone interested may want to PM him!
Old 12-12-2001, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pretty good look last night, manual in hand and it didn't look "too" bad.... the indicators look and absolute sod though... I'm a bit worried about the plastic inner wings being brittle this time of year

Any extra advice on the main beam job will be welcome though, I'd hate to break one
Old 12-12-2001, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll look at that. I was going to do a post on how to do it. I've changed twice. First time took over an hour and cost some skin. Second time, took 15 minutes, with no damage to the hands.

-Brian.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:22 AM

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this Brian.... anything to make a tricky looking job easier
Old 12-12-2001, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
I'd be interested in your thoughts on this Brian.... anything to make a tricky looking job easier
How's pay be
Old 12-12-2001, 08:01 AM

Cheers Brian.

I have half a mind to let Honda do it and then tell they they've messed up my alignment
Old 12-12-2001, 08:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried to post this last night after Cederic and I chatted, but it didn' post ;(. So:

1) The install can be done without removing the headlamp. You need a flashlight for peace of mind. The install "blind".

2) On either side of the car stick your hand under the hood to the rear of the light housing. There is a wire harness (3 wire/pin) going to the bulb.

3) There is a rubber boot which must be removed first. It is very similar to a "tupperware" or other food airtight device. Pull it back on one edge and then work your way around the lamp.

4) Rock the rubber boot gently and it will slide down the wire away from the lamp housing (you need about an 2.5 cm)

5) Pull on the connector and remove the 3 prong cable from the bulb.

6) Now is the time to use the flashlight. You now have the bulb and the headlight housing. The bulb is held in place with a wire (thick piano). On the inside the wire is wrapped and acts as a hinge. On the outside the wire can be pushed forward and out (use a flashlight to see this mechanism iot will make it much easier).

7) The bulb can now be removed....as you remove you will note a keyway and cutout. Remember how this is as it is the same ont the replacement bulb. Failure to do this will reult in a lot of time trying to figure out which way the new bulb should go in!

8) Reverse the processs to install.......

9) If you have any questions PM Utah S2K

P.S. Thanks to all of you and your country men for supporting the United States in the war on terrorisim.

Utah