UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Major Running Problems :( Now Cranks and wont start

Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Running Problems :( Now Cranks and wont start

Hi all,

Car was running fine the other day, went on a 100+ mile run no issues.

Went to start it the next day and it kept stalling. After a couple of tries it was ok. This morning it will not get past the stalling.

I believe the stalling is due to it dropping onto 3 cylinders and the supercharger pulling it down. If i hold the throttle a little it pops and bangs and then lasts a bit longer and dies. No codes thrown, although a pending 1399 . The other day when it did it there was a misfire on cylinder 1 - but after i cleared it and drove around all was fine.

It seems to start immediately ok, revs up as normal and then a couple of seconds in you hear a click (it has always done that), but now after that click it goes lumpy and dies.

What should i be looking at? Wallet is running scared!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Andy,

Could be simple! The click you hear is probably the secondary air pump. That also times with the lambda coming into life, so that could be dead (but it shouldn't affect a cold start)

Also have a look for any vac leaks. Something like a hose may have popped off.

I'd also check the alternator.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 AM

Well that hasnt gone well.

Had a fiddle with it and checked bits and bobs and now it just spins on starter motor but doesnt start. At most it will catch for about a second
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Odd.

Is it labouring on the starter of does it sound healthy? Almost like the battery is dead.

Do you have a decat? Just wondering if it's choked.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 AM

Take SC belt off and see if it runs on without since an SC is a leach on engine power to get it initially going. You then take off the strain and can get a better idea of what is up.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 AM

I Had a similar problem with my S ( supercharged ) although it wasnt dying down quite as often as your's is.

mine turned out to be the o2 sensor, it was giving incorrect feedback to the EMS. Once we turned off the o2 feedback to open loop through the ECU S/W it solved the problem.
Maybe worth a try? Although i'm pretty sure that wouldn't cause it to completely die.

Have a word with Martin (Blue Monster) on here, i believe he had problems with his coil pack once he charged his S ! After replacing his was fine.

Sorry if this info is of no use..

cheers
Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Well it's still just turning over quickly and never "catching" so something is obviously completely buggered now All pipes and plugs etc seem ok. Not sure how to get the SC belt off without moving any of the pulleys.

Will have to tow it up to Honda in the week. Booo! If it's terminal i doubt it will be getting fixed any time soon

Thanks for the advice peeps.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us posted.... tell wallet moths are so last year.... :-) good luck hope its a simple fix
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellzy
I Had a similar problem with my S ( supercharged ) although it wasnt dying down quite as often as your's is.

mine turned out to be the o2 sensor, it was giving incorrect feedback to the EMS. Once we turned off the o2 feedback to open loop through the ECU S/W it solved the problem.
Maybe worth a try? Although i'm pretty sure that wouldn't cause it to completely die.

Have a word with Martin (Blue Monster) on here, i believe he had problems with his coil pack once he charged his S ! After replacing his was fine.

Sorry if this info is of no use..

cheers
Mine was idling a little rough and had developed a top end misfire. It turned out to be a combination of coil packs clucked and too much advance ignition timing (or something like that).

Mine has never failed to start and has been fine since replacing the coils & getting the ignition timing sorted so sorry I can't offer any advice.

Have you tried contacting the S/C guru's on here - AJ & mattie170? No disrespect to anyone else

Hope you get sorted
Old 02-16-2014, 05:09 AM

Changed the battery for a new one and it's still just cranking and not catching. Thought maybe it was flooded from trying it before so i did the de-flood procedure (Full throttle and press start, turn over for 10 secs).

Crank sensor maybe? I did fiddle with all the connections on plugs etc to check all was good - might i have dislodged something. The map sensor on ours has a zip tie holding it on, would it manage to start with faulty/unpresent map sensor?

If only we hadn't moved down south, many people who could have looked at it back home.

Quick Reply: Major Running Problems :( Now Cranks and wont start