UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MB's modification thread...

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MB's modification thread...

Ok first off, none of these mods are in anyway necessary, before anyone points it out

When I start looking at bolt on bits and get excited, I recall a lap around the Nurburgring in 2006 with Chilled, in a pretty much standard S2000. I will admit to being afraid. That lap convinced me these things are bloody good out the box and don't need modifying

I then went out with Dembo and realised (albeit while Chilled overtook us ) that the suspension could be much better (he has Billies)

So really any tweaking for me is just a combination of trying to improve bits, either by weight, handling or power, and an unforturtanate affliction to modifying things

Anyway I hope this will be of interest as the car develops.

I bought the car to be a road / track car so it needs to retain creature comforts in terms of noise and practicality (ie space in the boot etc)

I also want to limit what I spend on the car, including the car itself so that will be the limiting factor.

So off we go
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 AM
MB

My first dilemma is brakes. I go back to the first line of this post and appreciate that people get excited about defending the standard setup.

Coming from th Exige and Evo with modified brakes, I want good stopping power. I do a lot of track work and the car needs to survive 2 consecutive days at Spa, then the Ring and maybe one other.

So it's a BBK for me.

I'd like AP or Brembo but having bought some Rays CE28N, it leaves me limited as I can't fit any of them under there.

So it's either the Tarox 6 or 10 pot which will fit under them, or change to Rota Torque like Lucky, and go with the Brembo (please don't PM me about buying the Rays!)

So i'm just researching if anyone has used the Tarox on track yet. I have PM'd Kartaphilos and hoping for some good feedback, as i'd like to keep the nice wheels

The Brembo are tried and tested though, and my engineering hat tells me that is the wisest choice...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also try Stoptech 328mm x 28mm at the front, but you will need to fit spacers as I did. Am with stock offsets on CE28N as well.

As for Tarox, I am sure that our Italian friends can give you a great feedback. We had a discussion on this at the Euromeet and they were very pleased with their setup. Furio, the president of S2K Club Italia has them as well.

I think leftfootbraking has received this setup recently, but I have no idea if he has tried them yet.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
MB

Good info Marios.

I really want to avoid spacers though. Nothing technically wrong with them, but I want to avoid the pain of messing with the hubs.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think Lucky's calipers are the same as the ones you get in the s2000 brembo's kit.

I think he had brackets made for them to fit, so the clearance might different.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As you know Mark, I have Brembos

I have found that the limiting factor is now the tyres. I would advise that you invest in a sticky set or go wider than the OEM 215s to get the best from a BBK upgrade.

Chris.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say there is plenty of info on the Tarox bbk, but if you need any info or pics I'd be glad to help
I haven't had any track time with them as yet but I've had several long distance fast road drives. The only thing I have found is that the brakes can get to cold if your sitting at low speed for a long time.
I know this will not be an issue on track, but as a daily driver you may need to be careful or change the pad compounds.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
MB

Hi Jim, i've PM'd Lucky for a bit of info

Chris, give me those I will be running R888's on the car, but 215 on the front.

LFB, what kit did you get, and what are the discs / pads like which they come with? Were there any options?

I have searched on here and Google but very little info.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does MB stand for Modifing Bug ?

Bharat
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice Chris.

Quick Reply: MB's modification thread...