UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

More drivel from Driven

Old 11-28-2001, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should just give up watching this show now, I know it is going to just aggravate me

Bernie shouted me down to watch it last night as it had a good group test, 911TT, 360 Modena, TVR Tuscan....

Much shouting by me at the numpty driving round the track ensued and the result was quite staggering - I mean really, do you buy a Ferrari for its load carrying ability??? Do you expect it to be cheap to run?? Why yes, of course it should have the same cost per mile as a Saxo - its all so clear to me now

Critisism of 360 Modena - "this throttle has terrible lag".... of course it does you stupid prat - you got the f'ing driver aids turned on! Press the button marked "sport" and you might even get round the track in a quicker time than a Renault Clio..... arghhhh!!!

The TVR looks an awesome beast though, very raw and immensely quick! I need a 996 Turbo, that's all I can say, pure desire on my part for the car - style, quality, AWD, PSM, 190 mph.... perfect everyday car and a 360 to have fun in

Yes I know I'm biased but I really feel the Ferrari didn't get a fair crack of the whip

One redeeming feature of the show was a used NSX being recommended as a great cheap alternative to the group test cars.... 96/97 cars go for about
Old 11-28-2001, 01:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tif, I tend to agree that overall the Ferrari was not treated fairly (I mean, taking the cars to Jordan F1 and asking them to comment - now there is a nice neutral group of folks!!!!)

I was holding my breath when we got the the cheap alternative section after the Camaro fiasco a few weeks ago....now what might we suggest.........perhaps a Ford Transit - very economical and so practical on that run to Sainsburys. Not so good on the track, but when driven by a total w@nker nearly as quick as a Clio and just edges the Ferrari.

But, to my suprise, a sensible suggestion - an NSX! I was in John Cooper Honda nr. Worthing last week and they had no less than 4 second hand NSX's ranging from
Old 11-28-2001, 01:38 AM

Personally Im not a big lover of the 360, I think its gone a bit to curvacious and a bit girlie, this is backed up by my missus saying she had just seen her dream car. I prefer the 355 myself. I think one think Jason 'sporty spice' Plato did say which I agreed with 100% was that he hated the F1 paddle shifts, If I had that money to spend on a car I would like to feel like I was driving it and the paddle shifts would detract from that.

I had to laugh when they did the practicality bit as although the TVR has a nice big boot its no use when your driving around in the Micra courtesy car while they fix the tuscan, again!!

I met a guy at my last tracy day with a Y reg Cerbera he says it goes back to the garage weekly and for the 40 mile drive to thr track the windscreen wipers wouldnt work, 42K for a car without windscreen wipers, shocking!!!!

Lets face it the cost of ownership was pure comedy the fezza really does take the piss with 800 quid for a wing mirror.

For me the Porsche should have been the winner, it was the only one of the 3 cars on test that you could drive reliably on a daily basis.

But then again that Noble M12 looked nice.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by ianl
Tif, I tend to agree that overall the Ferrari was not treated fairly (I mean, taking the cars to Jordan F1 and asking them to comment - now there is a nice neutral group of folks!!!!)
I know!!! Pure bloody genius' as well weren't they?? That charming lady sat in the 360 Modena "I think this interior would still look cheap if the car only cost a quarter of what they ask for this" ........riiiight The acres of finest leather, the beatifully sculpted alloy highlights and shifter,the Schedoni luggage, the wilton carpets - well blow me if it isn't blown away by a Mondeo Ghia. <insert profane vitriol here>
Old 11-28-2001, 01:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I met a guy at my last tracy day
Did you indeed - does the missus know about this??!!!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:49 AM

Jason, I so agree with you, the Porsche wiped the floor with the other cars. TVR practicality!!! You summed that up nicely!

FWIW I'd have my 360 with the paddle shift for a bit of variety, after all the 550, 456M, F40, F50, 512TR etc. that it would share the garage with would all have the classic gated manual wouldn't they

The F355 is still arguably the most beautiful of the modern cars and I'm led to believe it still sounds better and has a sweeter transmission than its sucessor. Definitely my car of choice!
Old 11-28-2001, 02:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]
Old 11-28-2001, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "scoring" system on that programme never ceases to amaze me....

Car A - Category whatever = crap, rubbish, waste of time .... we think it's worth 16 out of 20

Car B - Same category = great, brilliant, everyone must have one.... got to be worth at least 17

Why don't they just settle on a scale of 1 to 3 ?

(I hate the presenters too - mouthy gits)

Pete
Old 11-28-2001, 02:57 AM

Gods but it drives me mad too Pete:

last night, the "desirability test"

2 people stand next to the Ferrari, 6 next to the Porsche, 6 coach fulls around the TVR, hanging off every panel with mounted Police trying to stop them all rioting with eye rolling foaming mouthed frenzies of rapture.....

Cue the presenter's read on this, oh lets give the Porsche and Ferrari 22 points and the TVR 23.....WTF??!! Why bother asking their opinions in the first place if you pay no attention to what the actual response is
Old 11-28-2001, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tifosi Red

The F355 is still arguably the most beautiful of the modern cars and I'm led to believe it still sounds better and has a sweeter transmission than its sucessor. Definitely my car of choice!
Trust me.. I've been out in a 355 F1 Spyder with the top down. It is the most glorious sound that will ever assault your ears!

I missed Driven BTW but I usually respect what Plaito has to say. I don't think he's a big Ferrari fan!

Quick Reply: More drivel from Driven