UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

More importers (Internet based) go bust.

Old 11-29-2001, 01:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default More importers (Internet based) go bust.

Latest in Autocar, Carbusters.com, originally set-up by the Consumers Association has gone bust!!!

Follows on from GreyUK & JEM Vehicles going belly up, choose carefully if you're lurking! (Although I never believed for 1 second the prices GreyUK were dreaming up).
Old 11-29-2001, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just backs up what I keep saying 'Go Direct to the Dealer'.

I cant understand why people use these companies, all they seem to do is add risk and hassle and then charge you approx 1K - 2K for the priviledge.

If you search the internet you'll find stacks of useful advice on doing it yourself, the paperwork involved is simple and you'll probably find the EU dealers a lot more friendly and helpful than some office clerk who doesnt know a clutch from crutch.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:05 AM

... yet thousands and thousands of people save thousands and thousands of pounds every year by using importers.

I seem to remember a post about a Honda franchise collapsing somewhere? No-one is immune.

You pays your money, you takes your chance / choice.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
... yet thousands and thousands of people save thousands and thousands of pounds every year by using importers.

I seem to remember a post about a Honda franchise collapsing somewhere? No-one is immune.

Im not doubting that people do save thousands, I just cant understand why people prefer to use these importers when its a simple job to do it yourself. The other thing is that if you ordered through a franchised Honda dealer then you would have some comback against Honda in that country.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit

Honda UK, honour all orders, as they offer the franchise to said dealers, as I found out 4 years ago with my ITR!

Just a note for people extolling the virtues of some of these 'big saving' companies, what struck me was this was originally backed by such a big association, until they sold it on in April, having only realised
Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 AM

I'll stick with my local dealer thanks.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:17 PM

Had a surf yesterday and could find no mention of carbusters going bust. Checked Which? and did a search. Sure it's carbusters? Oneswoop run carbusters, but that was taken over ages ago.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:37 PM

I think it is carbusters but it did say in the report that business has been transferred to another company but I cannot remember who it was.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:48 AM

Carbusters was originally run by the Consumers Association (Which? magazine) to pressure UK dealer prices. Because of its huge success and an increase in profits they decided to keep "neutral & independent" by off-loading it.

Or that's how I understood it!

... now, where's my flippin' car, 10 weeks to go at least, will the bugger ever arrive, perhaps it's a sign that I should keep my
Old 11-30-2001, 03:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
[B]
... now, where's my flippin' car, 10 weeks to go at least, will the bugger ever arrive, perhaps it's a sign that I should keep my

Quick Reply: More importers (Internet based) go bust.