UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

More Water Leak Woes :( (Water in Boot)

Old 11-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Default More Water Leak Woes :( (Water in Boot)

Hi Guys,

Have another water leak on the S, this time it is the common water in the boot syndrome.

I have traced the leak and it appears to be entering the boot from the back edge of the hood (i.e where the hood disappears into the rear of the car), I can't really go any further as that would involve dismantling the hood and I don't have the facilities to do that as the car lives in a communal car park.I wouldn't have a clue either how to go about dismantling it anyways.

When I pour water over the hood edges, it seems to run freely to the drain channels on the lower sides of the car and drains away as normal.

I assume the leak would have something to do with the rain channel or drainage tubes of the hood, or even the hood attachment has been compromised?

The boot has been stripped so I can mop up any water whenever it rains.
Very sad and depressing

What are my options?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

i cant tell much from the vid on my phone

my boot leaks like a sieve

i would drill through one of the drains and paint the boot, that will prevent rust. mine leaks from the rear so i have no ideas for you bud other than look at the lings assembly diagrams and jetwash those drains
Old 11-23-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks Nottm,
Thats a good idea, cheers. Will try that tomorrow. Will wire brush the rust and dinitrol the base section.

Rust isnt to bad but shocking how quick it formed after less than a week .

If i get a hardtop would it solve my problem?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

mine has a liberal coating with white marine grease
Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 AM

a hardtop covers that area so yes i would think so

i wonder if a new roof would sort it, is it in bad shape?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:03 AM

The hood is actually in pretty good shape, no tears or rips and the previous owner stated it was replaced 3 to 4 years ago.
The car was stored in his car port so always had a roof over the entire car, hence why i assume these issues were never apparent.
I truly reckon the hood was poorly assembled and perhaps was a defect on at the rain gutter or channel at the time which they did not rectify.

I do reckon a new hood would solve it, as they would need to dismantle the entire section and get to the rain gutter and channel.
Removing the softtop is a monumental task though - lol

Always loved the look of the hardtop on the s2000, I might go that route.
I have no where to store the hardtop at the moment (live in a flat) but can worry about that when I cross that bridge - lol

I think I have located a hardtop, in talks with the seller. Shall see how it goes
I can always get a new hood another time when I am ready.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM

assuming you have the brackets its an easy solution

both mine have the flexi rear screen, both cracked haha
Old 11-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

It could well be the boot vent https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...cs-fix-465581/
Old 11-25-2018, 09:19 AM

my boot leaks like a sieve
How do you control that? Do you just leave the boot stripped out

assuming you have the brackets its an easy solution
both mine have the flexi rear screen, both cracked haha
Yeah, brackets are already installed and ready for a hardtop just in case I got one.
Oh gosh, You looking to upgrade the hood soon?

Cheers tjockhult, Checked that and definitely isn't leaking. The water is definitely coming in from the hood on the video in my first post.
Its really weird, as there were several hard down pours during the summer months and it never leaked before.
Why all of a sudden its leaking?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM

i will replace both at some point yes, both are old and the guy in Wales will do for me

my normal one, the garage queen, must have developed a leak and that resulted in a pool and it rusted through so is going into a bodyshop in Dec for a new boot floor and treating some rust on the windscreen surround

the other one someone had drilled one vent .. its not as rusty and has just come back from bodyshop which may have upset something i guess, had a full respray but the other day it was very wet after rain (it lives outside)

long story short i have treated the rust and used POR15 over the top but i wont bother putting carpet back in that car. they rust because they are not well painted and the water pools in there, you can address those issues seprate to finding the leak. i will hunt it down though.

Quick Reply: More Water Leak Woes :( (Water in Boot)